Difference between 01-03 cobra motor?

stang120gt

Jun 28, 2004
Michigan
Im just curious what is the difference between the 01-03 cobra motor. Besides the super charger did they do anything to the interanals of the motor on the 03 or what? I no they're both dohc motors but what is the difference if there is one? :shrug:

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The 01 cobra uses a cast aluminum block and the 03 is on a cast iron block. The 03 also has alum heads and manley forged h-beam rods. Thats all I know though, I'm sure someone else around here has more info man.

Different front timing chain cover. Forged dished pistons. Manley H-Beam Rods. Iron 4.6 truck block. Same heads (I believe). Not sure about the cams.

You should search/post this question in the 4.6 Tech forum and the SVT forum. They will know for sure.

yeah the cams are less agressive on an 03 cobra. Same as comparing the MACH1 to the 01 COBRA.
The mach1 has less HP then the 01 cobra, but a mach 1 can take a 01 cobra of the line the 01 cobra are a bit sluggish of the line but nothing a set of gears cant take care of

SVT forums will give you better detail on the differences.

I know the 03/04's are ARP equipped on the bottomend.

A Mach 1 and 99,01 cobra have the same powerband. Only significant difference (if that) is the solid vs. irs axle.

well i did post on the svt forums and this is what they came up with

they share the same 8-bolt steel crankshaft, although its balanced differently for the 03 heavier rods.

eveyrthing else is different.

03 iron block
01 aluminum block

03 h-beam rods and forged pistons
01 powdered metal rods and impact extruded aluminum pistons

03 better flowing heads
01 smaller exhaust port

03 aluminum flywheel
01 steel?

Thanks for the info guys