DIFFERENCES BETWEEN 289 AND 302 ??

pimpinphil

Jan 25, 2003
cumberland,md
Visit site
hi,
to make a long story short,my g/f's dad has a 289,not sure of the year yet,just thought about this today. but i have a late 80 roller 302,and i have already bought pistons and rods for it,and was just wondering weather i could use my pistons and rods in his 289 block? i have tried to check stuff out through summit,and from what i can tell,i can,the pistons seem to have the same parts numbers for 289,and 302,im kinda stumpped on the rods,because if im not mistaken they had 3 different rod lengths there,and they was 5.090,5.155,and 5.400.now im sure they are for stroking the 289.just not sure what options i have,if someone could help me out that would be great.
i have speedpro forged pistons 4.030.and eagle forged i beam rods 5.090.if i can use it in the 289,what crank would be the best? i would like to keep low compression if possible,because i want to run boost. and is there anything i need to keep and eye on or should i be just fine? i had my 302 machined before i knew they was weak blocks. and this is just a way of helping me build some good horsepower and not have to worry about the block cracking down the middle. thanks for all your time and input.

• Sponsors(?)

5.0ina66

Jun 6, 2003
Ohio
broken
A 289 block isn't *THAT* much stronger than a 5.0L block. The 289 block will take some fancy machine work to take the 1-pc rear main seal 5.0 crank and it doesn't have the hole in the side of the block for a dipstick either.

I wouldn't mess with the 289, I'd just finish rebuilding the 5.0.

pimpinphil

Jan 25, 2003
cumberland,md
Visit site
i was meaning maybe using the 289 crank instead,and using my rods and pisonts. i dont know if that would work or not. im just checking my options. and i have to buy a crank yet,and oil pan. pretty much all i have is the pistons,rods,and the block,i need most everything else. thanks

5.0ina66

Jun 6, 2003
Ohio
broken
i was meaning maybe using the 289 crank instead,and using my rods and pisonts. i dont know if that would work or not. im just checking my options. and i have to buy a crank yet,and oil pan. pretty much all i have is the pistons,rods,and the block,i need most everything else. thanks
You need 5.155" rods with a 289 crank and 5.090" rods with a 302 crank. 5.400" are stroker rods.

Plus, you'd have to have the 289 crank machined if you wanted to fit it into a 1pc rear main 5.0 block

pimpinphil

Jan 25, 2003
cumberland,md
Visit site
i think we are getting a little confused,sorry. i am meaning using my pistons,and rods and a 289 crank in a 289 block . i have the higher comp. pistons,and with the shorter rod,i should have low compression,what do you think??? if they would even work together i dont know. thanks .

SScott