Differences in wiring harness

Qwik66-SD

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 8, 2003
San Diego
I am looking to buy a new wiring harness for my 66 Mustang but I wanted to ask the differences between the Painless and the EZ harnesses? I did a search and found that the EZ is GM coded but otherwise they are pretty similar. My first thought is to just buy the EZ wiring harness but the huge difference in price makes me second guess myself. Is the Painless worth $300+ more than the EZ and if so what does it feature that the EZ doesn't? :shrug: Thanks for any help and/or input.

• Sponsors (?)

I am currently installing a EZ wiring harness in my 73 mustang. I got the 21 circuit color coded harness from them for like 150. It is designed for a GM vehicle so the plugs wont connect to our ford columns or accessories. I think that the EZ wiring harness is a good buy

dsgfbsatraaaaakjaotmvot4iwubvmopi5u024m

I believe the EZ Wiring harness is all pre-terminated at the fuse block, so if you don't use all of the wires, you either have to cut them off, or bundle them up and stash them away. The Painless kit allows you to use only what you need and I've heard the wires seem to be of better quality.

Since it is always a good idea to run a few extra circuits anyways, the EZ kit may be the way to go if you don't require the full custom capability of the Painless kit.

Sorry my previous post was not completed, I got distracted.

Anyway with the EZ kit you will have to reuse your old plugs for the Column and accessories off of your old harness. The EZ harness comes with a wiring diagram for the conversion but you will need a wiring diagram specific to your stang in order to ensure that you make all the proper connections.

PaleHorse is right about the wires being pre terminated at the fuse block. You will have to remove any wires that you don't wish to use from the harness which is really easy to do. In my 73 I decided to keep most of the extra wires for future additions like power doors and windows.

Good Luck! :nice: