different rear brake caliper

dennisthacker80

Mar 9, 2009
I done a search and didnt find what i was wanting to know. Is there an upgrade from the screw in type caliper? I was wanting to change to a piston type. Screwing in the piston sucks much rather use a c clamp.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Well, Ford used the exact same rear caliper on the 94-04 Mustangs, Cobra included. They just pushed the caliper farther out to allow for the larger rotor. You'd have to go aftermarket for a rear caliper. Perhaps someone else can pitch in on aftermarket rear brake options.

Don't laugh turbogt, Husky44 was actually right. The screw-in mechanism allows the piston to be pushed out when the parking brake cable is pulled. There's no hydraulic pressure when pulling the parking brake, so how else are the rear brakes applied?

Basically, as the pads wear down the design internally adjusts the screw mechanism so the parking brake will work properly. I don't know exactly how that part works, I just know it does. To reset that screw mechanism for the parking brake, you have to screw in the piston when replacing the pads. Kinda like threading in a big screw. Why the system can't auto-reset by compressing the piston like you do the front calipers, I don't know.

Wilwood used to make a kit using a simple hydraulic piston caliper. Since no provision for a parking brake was integrated in the caliper, a small, separate cable operated caliper (from a motorcycle?) was included for this function. I'm not sure this is available anymore and a system using an integrated drum brake seem to be the norm these days anyway (a'la the Explorer rears).