Disable Clutch Engagement To Start?

• Sponsors (?)

I have remote start with a 5-speed so there is a way to disable the clutch switch but it can be dangerous. Mine is tied into my alarm and there are precautions to make sure that the car is not in gear although it is probably not foolproof. The alarm installer told me there is not any way to physically guarantee that the car is in neutral with a switch or sensor. I find it hard to believe that it's impossible but it may be improbable.

If you're REALLY sure you want to do that you need to find the switch that goes to the clutch and rig it to be always tripped. But beware if you forget to take the car out of gear you'll be doing what I call the lemans shuffle.

There are 2 switches on the clutch pedal assy. The one close to the dash is for shutting off cruise control. The one down near the firewall/floor is the starter enabler switch. Both wires are red/light blue. You'll need to uplug the wire connector from the switch and connect the 2 wires together or figure a way to keep the switch closed at all times like with tape or a wire tie. Use your imagination. '05 automatic trans cars have a dummy plug in that harness connector that makes the connection at all times. I guess you could buy the dummy plug from Ford.

Well the T5 in that I have in my '68 has a neutral safety feature (as well it should since the '86-'93 Stangs w/T5's had this feature). If the tranny is not in neutral, the engine will not turn over. That's the feature I wish they had on the new Stangs. Which feature did the '94's to '04's have? I had an '02 GT but it was an auto.

I'd also think twice about doing that, especially if anyone else might ever drive the car - even on rare occasion. Valet, oil change, wife, etc - could really cause some damage or harm quick if the driver wasn't familiar with your car.

I was visiting a buddy of mine at the shop the other day and filled up down the road at a quicky stop.

Guy pulls up in a nice white 03 Cobra....sounded great...he opens the door and fills up, leaves his girlfriend in the car with the driver door open (side near the tanks) and walks in.

He gets to talking to the fella behind the counter and counter man says, "How's she sound?"

Genius driver dude pulls out his remote start, forgets that he has it in reverse (6sp manual), and hits the magic button.

The door was laying flush against the front quarter panel.

Lots of work to be done. I'd say, forget the remote start on a manual. It can be done, but why risk it? This guy knew his stuff (or seemed to) and forgot...you could too!

I was visiting a buddy of mine at the shop the other day and filled up down the road at a quicky stop.

Guy pulls up in a nice white 03 Cobra....sounded great...he opens the door and fills up, leaves his girlfriend in the car with the driver door open (side near the tanks) and walks in.

He gets to talking to the fella behind the counter and counter man says, "How's she sound?"

Genius driver dude pulls out his remote start, forgets that he has it in reverse (6sp manual), and hits the magic button.

The door was laying flush against the front quarter panel.

Lots of work to be done. I'd say, forget the remote start on a manual. It can be done, but why risk it? This guy knew his stuff (or seemed to) and forgot...you could too!

Disabling the neutral safety switch is not a necessity for remote start, my switch still works. It would be impossible for me to do what this guy did with the safety features on my remote start.