Disabling the Air Bag Module audible tone??

1992vert

Oct 24, 2003
Charlotte, NC
After I replaced the gauge cluster on my '92 with a custom aftermarket unit I began getting this new audible tone coming from the Air Bag Module(blue box behind the radio) when the ignition is turned on. Apparently the module runs a diagnostic check at each start up and if the system has a fault the air bag light will blink in a particular series. If the module detects the dash light isn't working, ie burnt bulb, disconnected, etc., it produces an audible tone as a back up.

When I asked the gauge cluster manufacturer how to disable the tone they first commented that "we hear this same issue about one out of every ten fox-body clusters we sell" and secondly "of the two wire cluster connectors at the module, unplug the one that stops the tone". They said it would not disable the air bag system.

Can someone confim this or offer another way to disable the tone without plugging/disabling the system? Also, if I do unplug the connector could a competent tuner look in the computer to verify the air bag system is still active? Not looking to find out the hard way.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

airBagSchem1992.jpg

just take a socket and wire a 194 bulb (like the ones in the cluster) between pin 1 and 4

Attachments

• airBagSchem1992.jpg
    airBagSchem1992.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 2,756
superhuaman;6635681 just take a socket and wire a 194 bulb (like the ones in the cluster) between pin 1 and 4[/QUOTE said:
Sup - You da' man! Rigged up a quick light bulb to see if it'd work and the tone is gone, but the bulb flashes, blink...blink-blink. According to the air bag trouble codes that should be a 12-"Loss of battery power to air bag firing circuit". She's been sitting a lot lately and the battery was dead when I checked on it the other day. If I charge/replace the battery will that clear the code or does a Ford techy have to clear it?

Sup - You da' man! Rigged up a quick light bulb to see if it'd work and the tone is gone, but the bulb flashes, blink...blink-blink. According to the air bag trouble codes that should be a 12-"Loss of battery power to air bag firing circuit". She's been sitting a lot lately and the battery was dead when I checked on it the other day. If I charge/replace the battery will that clear the code or does a Ford techy have to clear it?

I have a Code 12 and my Battery is fine, I have disconnected the Battery for several days to see if it would reset the System, but it still Flashes a 12, after ready my Service Manual it sounds like the most likely problem is the Diagnostic Moniter itself.

Basically, a code 12 means that the always-hot power supply to the air bag module (used to charge the backup supply) is not present. Here is a Microsoft Word document with Ford's "Pinpoint Test C" which is for diagnosing Code 12. Code 12 shouldnt keep your airbag from working, depending on what set the code.

Attachments

• Mustang92AirBag.doc
    44.5 KB · Views: 632
Problem solved!!!

After performing the code 12 pin point test, everything checked out...12+ volts making it to the module, no open fuses, etc.. I picked up a new module from another '92 in the junkyard($15), plugged it in and now no more codes(sweet!)

Thanks for everyone's help!:SNSign:

Problem solved!!!

After performing the code 12 pin point test, everything checked out...12+ volts making it to the module, no open fuses, etc.. I picked up a new module from another '92 in the junkyard($15), plugged it in and now no more codes(sweet!)

Thanks for everyone's help!:SNSign:

That is what I need to do also.

SO thats what that noise is!!! I thought it was my radio or something. Hmm. I dont like the thought of airbags so Im gonna just unplug that module.

I wouldn't...but that's just me. I feel a lot safer having one, and some insurance companies offer slight discounts for cars with "passive restraints" (air bags). However, short people (with short arms) that have to sit close to the steering wheel, should probably have them disabled.

Remember, the car was designed by Ford to save your life, WITH the air bag.

I wouldn't...but that's just me. I feel a lot safer having one, and some insurance companies offer slight discounts for cars with "passive restraints" (air bags). However, short people (with short arms) that have to sit close to the steering wheel, should probably have them disabled.

Remember, the car was designed by Ford to save your life, WITH the air bag.

If the airbag light isnt blinking then that sound is being made. Something is all fudged up somewhere. Im taking all the wiring and everything out and putting in a carbed engine anyway. I figure with good seats and 5 point harness I should survive a wreck. Besides what is a aigbag gonna do if your wearing you seatbelt? choke you out with all the dust and get those air bag burns.

You do have a point there...a 5 point harness kind of removes the need for an air bag. But, with just the factory shoulder/lap belt arrangement, it is still possible for your head to hit the steering wheel. Sorry for jacking this thread...lol.

You do have a point there...a 5 point harness kind of removes the need for an air bag. But, with just the factory shoulder/lap belt arrangement, it is still possible for your head to hit the steering wheel. Sorry for jacking this thread...lol.

I understand. Thanks for your concern for my safty(I mean that, Not sarcasm)

You can have your thread back now. LOL