91 LX 5.0 Air Bag Dash Light blinking

twozero

Jul 9, 2018
Oakley, CA
We've got a 1991 LX 5.0 Hatchback with 99,450 miles that has been mostly parked in my garage and covered since our youngest boy went off to West Point in 2006 when the car had about 95,000 miles. Since then, he just hasn't been stationed anywhere he felt the Mustang would be a good fit. So, it has just sat in the garage except for his sporadic visits home or we need to use it or have it serviced. Somewhere along the way, at around 96,500 miles, the air bag light on the dash began blinking. Since the car wasn't being used regularly and he had no plans to either sell it or have it shipped to wherever he was stationed, we deferred having it checked out. Knowing what we know now, I am wishing I had had it checked out then, since if it is a bad clockspring, we might have still been able to get one back then.

So, the air bag light is blinking, 10 times, then a pause, then 10 again, and so on. Another thread says that means the air bag system safing device is blown? Have no idea what that means or if it is a part that can be replaced. The horn and the cruise control both still work fine, and there are no strange noises as the wheel is turned, so we're hoping it's not the clockspring.

Because it involves the air bag system, I am inclined to take it to a professional for safety reasons. But, before I waste my time and money taking it to any of the local Ford dealers who likely don't even have any mechanics as old as the car is and might not know much about Fox body Mustangs, is there anyone out there who can shed some light on a 10 blink code? Or if you are from the SF Bay Area or the Central Valley anywhere from Sac to Modesto, is there a ship or a mechanic you know of in those areas who is expert with the Fox body?

The car probably isn't going more than a few miles for at least the next 4 years. So, no huge rush. But, solving the problem will likely get tougher the more time passes, so I'd like to address now while there are still plenty of Fox bodies on the road and people who know them well.

• Sponsors (?)