Disappointing Dyno Numbers

5.0 Swapped

Jun 16, 2017
I have some very disappointing numbers. The block was rebuilt with TFS pistons, stock crank and rods, TFS Stage 1, Twisted Wedge heads, 1.6RR Scorpions, stock lifters, Cobra upper and non-ported lower, 24lb injectors, stock 70mm MAF, stock distributor, Accel Coil, and 65mm PP Throttle body. My car is a swap, but I am using SN95 parts and EEC. From what I am reading this setup should have probably put me at about 300hp, but the initial run was a 260. The tuner said he could probably get it up to 280 max. Any ideas what may be causing the lower number? Could getting the lower ported help out a bunch or no? I know I need to send my other intake and get TMOSS's son to do it. Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Not sure what your exhaust is but your bottle neck is right at the beginning. That 70MM stock MAF doesn't flow very well. I had a Pro-M 77MM on my car which is about double the CFM of the stock MAF. I would have even opted for a 70MM Throttle Body and opened up the Cobra intake snout to match better.

If your tuner can get you 20HP to 280HP I'd say ditching the stock MAF for something that flows twice the amount may get you close to your goal.

Again, your exhaust plays a big factor too. Hopefully you're running long tubes with a 2.5" collector with 2.5" mid pipe no cats and at least a 2.5" cat back.

MAF AIR FLOW DATA (In CFM):

1.Stock 5.0L 58MM (89-93 Mustangs), 606 CFM
2.Stock 5.0L 70MM (94-95 GT/Cobra Mustangs), 815 CFM
3.Pro-M Bullet (75MM), 964 CFM
4.Ford 80MM (Lightnings), 1017 CFM
5.C&L 73MM, 1171 CFM
6.Modified 80MM (Flow Bar Removed), 1368 CFM
7.C&L 80MM, 1415 CFM
8.Pro-M 77MM (Shorty/Supercharged Version), 1543 CFM
9.Pro-M 77MM (Standard Version), 1562 CFM
10.Pro-M 83MM, 1598 CFM
11.Pro-M 80MM, 1612 CFM

THROTTLE BODY AIR FLOW DATA (In CFM):

1.Ford Stock 5.0L 60MM, 526 CFM
2.Accufab 65MM, 616 CFM
3.BBK 70MM, 726 CFM
4.Accufab 75MM, 845 CFM
5.Accufab 90MM, 1225 CFM

Thanks VRGT. Yeah I am running shorty headers (long tube not an option), X pipe with Magnaflows 2.5 all the way back. I also had the Thunderbolt cats at mid end to help catch the rich gas smell. When the shaft blew it took out those cats, so I will probably not add them back. I just sold my ProM 80 I had because unfortunately it would not fit at all under the hood. If only it had a smaller cone on it. I will probably need one of those tube type ones as I had to use the sn95 MAF sensor with a 96-97 Tbird tube to match. Very limited space unfortunately both height and length. Seriously considered switching to the Fox TB setup as that would give me more room to work with.

Last edited:
To get some of these aftermarket parts to fit you'll need to get creative. This is a Pro-M MAF on my 347 Stroker (see pic). It didn't have the 4 bolt flange the stock one had. They do make 4 flanger adapters so you can install the filter of your choice, I know UPR makes a version.

Yeah ditch the cats, should free up a few ponies.

EDIT - I missed the part that it was in a totally different car. Maybe you can get the new MAF / Filter into the fender somehow.

41557169784_08f893b8d9_o.jpg
Untitled by , on Flickr

I thought about the fender, but it's very tight too. Was going to cut a hole into it, but then it would be right in the path of the tire unfortunately. My buddy has a Holley Fox intake setup he would sell me, but I am sure it would be too tall. Then I would have more room going over the shock tower. The Cobra type intake I have just BARELY clears the hood. :) Thanks for the ideas though. Since I am using the SN95 computer with MOATES, I would like to keep it all the same type of setup and not spend the extra money on a TB, intake, etc.

Nice engine bay by the way! That was done right :)