Fox Diy 5 Lug Swap + Disc Swap On Ranger/aerostar Axles.

Matt01

Jul 23, 2016
Hi guys, so I've been working on this for quite some time. I read alot of bad information here and there, so I have a few sets of discs that are useless to me now.

This is if you have stock length (ranger/ aerostar) axles 5 lug and you want to use Turbo Coupe rear brakes.

First off DONT BUY MAZDA MPV ROTORS OF ANY YEAR. THEY DONT WORK FOR THIS. The rotor wont even fit over the hub. See the hub is as big as the rotor. Waste of money. I read it a few times that 90-91 MPV rotors work. Sucks I also bought Brembos.
IMG_6321.jpg

So its pretty simple really, first step you've seen before. Hack up the stock t-coupe brackets. Since the TC brackets were welded onto the diff, cut off the bracket, and grind the brackets down smooth. Cut the pie slice out of it like this.
IMG_6566.jpg

next you need use your stock Turbo coupe discs, I redrilled these myself because the rotors were junk and It was just for this test. I did buy new rotors and I sent them to be drilled at a machine shop for precision holes.
IMG_6537.jpg

Heres where it gets weird. The OEM T Coupe rotor (RIGHT SIDE) fits over the hub, you can it apart because the edges are rounded. The left side I assume is a jobber that got replaced at some point before I bought the diff, that one does NOT fit over the hub.
IMG_6569.jpg

What I did was run a drill on the diff, and filed down the axle shafts a bit so the rotor would clear. Below you can see the drill, then i just used a sanding disc on a grinder as the axle spun.
IMG_6552.jpg

IMG_6564.jpg

Here is the OEM size hub. Turbo Coupe + 4 lug regualar mustang axles are the same size hub, TC are slightly smaller.
IMG_6568.jpg

Here is the machined hub, didnt take much, but it did take a crap load of time and patience. To be very honest probably most rotors wont have this problem and you can skip this step. Ill let you know the part number of my new rotors when I get them back, and if they worked without modification or not.
IMG_6567.jpg

Once those are on, this should be another familiar step, install the bracket and use washers to properly space the bracket on the inside of the diff casing flange.
IMG_6553.jpg

Work on that (time + patience) till you're happy with the caliper bracket fitment on the rotors
IMG_6562.jpg

Install and profit.
The diff is still sitting in my garage if anyone has any specific questions, wants measurements pics or what-not.

Bonus: Pile of Rotors I bought that wont work. There was a third set that I was able to return.
IMG_6619.jpg

-Matt

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

wondering why not start with SN95 rear brakes brackets, ,calipers, and rotors? :shrug:

That would have been the easy way out, haha

For the simple reason of the TC being ventilated, a bigger piston caliper, I believe a Mustang Cobra handbrake cable is plug and play, and I already had the parts.

So little update. The rotors I bought worked without turning down the axle, no mod required.
Rockauto CENTRIC 12161023

Fresh from the machine shop
IMG_6622.jpg

IMG_6623.jpg

Installed and finished. Just need to paint the rotors and grease the hubs.
IMG_6624.jpg

I’m curious the cost of the custom rotors. But this could be a cheap alternative for someone
Who already has the tc Parts. I’ve not priced the cobra rears to know for sure.

I’ve not priced the cobra rears to know for sure.

Years ago the M-2300-M kit was cheap....$199. All you needed was a set of calipers. Now it's gone way up.

The only negative to custom rotors is the fact that the next time you need brake rotors (which shouldn't be that often on cars like these that are mostly driven on a hobby basis) you need to procude the rotors and then go find a shop to modify them.

I actually have a friend who is turning down a 14" GT500 rotor this week to see if it will work as a cheap 1.25" rotor option for the front. I'll let you know cost when I get that number

I’m curious the cost of the custom rotors. But this could be a cheap alternative for someone

The Rotors cost me 13.93$ x2 + 60$ to machine them both. so 87$ for both rotors.