do 351 hydraulic roller parts fit non hydraulic roller engines

1slick88cat

Jan 5, 2009
i was just wondering do parts from a non hydraulic 351w fit a hydraulic roller 351w. or would i be better off just going with all non hydraulic parts:SNSign::Track::SNSign::SNSign::SNSign::SNSign::SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

You can adapt 302 roller parts (dog bones and such) to the 351. One thing to note is that it is possible to crack the lifter bores when using theses parts. Many guys have done it w/o any problems. To me the risk wasn't worth it and I just had a custom grind flat tappett cam made for my engine. If u want a roller motor, buy the expensive ass conversion rollers or buy a roller block.

I'm faced with this problem right now also. I have a 85 351 and would like to have a roller cam, but I'm not going to go with the 302 retaining hardware due to having to take the bottom end apart for drilling and tapping holes, and machining the block where the dogbones can lay flat, I was also informed that I would need a small base circle cam.

I also don't want to pay a gazillion dollars for link bar roller lifters.

That leaves me no other choice than to stick with a flat tappet. People have been using them for years.

I'm doing a 351w swap too, I got these hydraulic roller lifters below.....made by the same manufacturer that makes em for Crane. I bought these and at first I was leary on the quality but I got them and they're very nice. Also got they're billet timing chain set with torrington bearing for the non roller block and is very nice for like $45 bucks. I can take some pics of them if you're interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350104850620