Do Flow's resonate at 3krpm?

94-302-vert

Aug 16, 2004
NE CT
I have flowmater 40's welded into the original 2.25" pipes on my car. IT sounds horrible at 3k rpm on the highway (only time I maintain that kind of RPM)... so is it the flows I am hearing... seems to be from 80 mph on, almost a marbl-like or rattling sound. I am pretty sure it is the exhaust but want to know if anyone elese gets this as well...

THanks guys...

• Sponsors (?)

like mike said 2k is sweet spot for the flows.as far as the marble rattle your experiencing,(if not detonation) then possibly the insides of your flows are blowing apart.had a couple go south on me and they sound like crap.

Swarzkopf said:
How do the insides of Flowmasters "blow apart"? Basically the only components inside a Flowmaster muffler are steel plates?

the rust and break the welds of the chamber deflectors

my friends 9 second car did that and it would shoot metal shrapnal out in the burnout box. we had to get a magnet and pliers to pull some out before the track to be safer

you arent running an x pipe with your flows btw? that would cause some bad sound

and the 2k resonance is a mustang thing not a flowmaster thing, some mufflers just exagerate the sound

I have no cats (O/R H-pipe). Before the removal of the cats they flows droned at 2k rpm. No cats stopped that.; THe 3k drone/rattle/abnoxious has always been there (at least since the gears were done in march). I am pretty sure I have experienced it in 4th gear a couple of times so I am pretty sure it is the mufflers.

So how long have you guys had flows last?

Not to be contradictory but I have had flows for years and never had one rust out on me. In fact, I had one on a previous car that got dragged down the highway for 1/8 mile on solid asphault b/c it was not bolted on properly. That was 8 years ago. I sold it when I sold the car. It is STILL running on my friends chevy truck and STILL sounds awesome! The bottom of his truck including his brakelines are rusting out and that flowmaster looks practically new. It is going to outlast the truck.