Do I have a limited slip?

Mr_Q

Founding Member
Nov 5, 2002
Burbank, CA
I haven't been under the car in a bit but I don't remember if mine has one. Will it say on the diff with the "L" after the gear size?

Or does someone know? Mine is the '07 auto with the 3.29 gears.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm glad we seem to have it clarified. I had been wondering about my '07 GT automatic. The label on the door jamb has the code for a limited slip, but the label on the differential does NOT have an "L", which the shop manual says it should if it is a limited slip. Then again, the label depicted in the shop manual doesn't look much like the label on the differential in other respects. This seems to be one of those cases of the people writing the shop manual not knowing what is actually going to be put on the car. It is even more confusing because one of the sales brochures says that the limited slip is standard with the manual transmission, but optional with the automatic transmission.

3.55s were a $87 option (invoice price) for 2007 GTs with the manual transmission.

The Mustang GTs all come with limited slip differentials (Ford Traction-Lok). I ordered the 07 with the $87 3.55 option because it said "limited slip" and better to be safe than sorry. Ford has offered $87 limited slip options for other platforms like the Police Interceptor. The CVPI comes with an open differential, and there's a $87 option for the Traction-Lok differential.

Limited Slip Axel

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and just put a down payment on an 06 Gt Premium. I'll probably pick it up in a couple of days. Anyway, I was also wondering if mine had the limited slip. Ford's build and price section for the 09 Mustang GT shows the limited slip as a $200 + option for the Premium and doesn't show availability for the Deluxe.

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and just put a down payment on an 06 Gt Premium. I'll probably pick it up in a couple of days. Anyway, I was also wondering if mine had the limited slip. Ford's build and price section for the 09 Mustang GT shows the limited slip as a $200 + option for the Premium and doesn't show availability for the Deluxe.

Congrats on the car and welcome to the forum. Like the other posts state if it has a v8 then it also has limited slip.

Don't worry, it's a traction-lok axle in all V8 Mustangs. Traction-Lok has been standard equipment in all V8 Mustangs since 1985.

2005-9 Mustang GT automatics were all 3.31 traction-loks.
2005-6 Mustang GT manuals were all 3.55 traction-loks.
2007-9 Mustang GT manuals came standard with 3.31 traction-loks, while 3.55 traction-loks were optional.

Thanks guys. I figured I could get the right info here. I revisited the Ford sight and realized that it is the limited slip axel that is the option not the limited slip differential. Not being the most knowledgeable about auto mechanics I didn't realize they were two different things. Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad I found this forum.

i could of sworn i saw someone post here before about their GT not having a LSD.

and someone came in and clarified that there were a few, but not many built without the LSD.

easiest and most fun way to find out is go light em up :nice: haha.

then just check your marks if you've got 2 tire marks your good to go.