Do I need a boost-a-pump now? 331 and V1 S-trim.

gcomfx.com

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2002
Republic, MO
Well guys, been a way for a while... my car was on the back burner since last fall. I'm getting married Aug 1st. (She came up with the cash for the reason for this thread.) So I guess I now have a sugar momma. :rlaugh: That's a big 180 from the way things were. I'm glad she's finally got her degree.

I just picked up an older V1 S-trim to throw on the car. I've got the 42s/LMAF already in the car. Been running it pretty successfully for a while now. So my question is...

Do I need the boost-a-pump added to the 255 fuel pump I have in the tank?

I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way once I go through the whole list of parts. BTW - I'm skipping the boost retard/FMU setup. I should be able to tune around those. Also, I have no smog or A/C to deal with. AND I already have a return line bung in my oil pan. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Roll with the BAP if you've got a 255HP in the tank. I dunno about you but I pegged my 42s on my 302... just dropped on the 60s yesterday.

Wes

Boo... I don't wanna hear I need BIGGER injectors. :rlaugh: I bought these because everyone said they would be plenty. 3 years ago when I started this route. My big engine catastrophe sorta set me back a few years. :nonono:

BTW - I doubt I'll be running much other than the stock pulleys. I'm already at 9.9:1 compression. I just seen an opening to stop filling the bottle, and to have extra power all the time, instead of every so often.

Just a guestimate here, but I would think a 255 pump and 42's should be plenty for low to mid 400rwhp. I made 449rwhp with that setup. I know the fuel requirements differ between N/A and SC though... Any ideas how much power you'll be making with the SC?

Nope none at all. I'm really new to all of this. My only N/A dyno didn't make much sense. With my converter going into lock up part way through the runs and making a weird dip in the power curves. I only pulled 266hp. :bang: Everyone thought there was something wrong with the car. So I changed my schedule and went to the track the following day, right before the season closed. I pulled the new best of 12.72 @ 107.76 on cheap arse 16" street tires. :shrug:

I always like to have a touch more injector and pump than I need, with your SCT you won't be able to datalog injector dutycycle so you will sorta be in the dark. I say run 'em on the dyno and watch the AFR and rail pressure like a hawk. For slightly small injectors you can always bump the base fuel pressure up beyond 39psi.

Wes

Nope none at all. I'm really new to all of this. My only N/A dyno didn't make much sense. With my converter going into lock up part way through the runs and making a weird dip in the power curves. I only pulled 266hp. :bang: Everyone thought there was something wrong with the car. So I changed my schedule and went to the track the following day, right before the season closed. I pulled the new best of 2.72 @ 107.76 on cheap arse 16" street tires. :shrug:

I pulled the new best of 2.72 @ 107.76 on cheap arse 16" street tires. :shrug:[/QUOTE]
Paul, you have a jet engine? I know, 12.72........

:lol: I had 108 as the speed. So I copy and pasted and corrected it. Guess I missed a number. :bang:

There's a good chance the car is headed to The House of Boost in KC to get tuned. I've got the chip burner and everything, but I don't have the time or money to learn how to use it. Best to let the professionals do it.

i don't think you NEED a boost-a-pump but its one of those things that i would feel more comfortable with having than not. I'd err on the side of Wes more so than my opinion.

as far as your 42s, they'll be fine. i'm running 42s on my combo with a 255 and a boost-a-pump.

I see you are running a very similar setup. After looking at your pics, I have another question. LOL Do you know if I am going to be able to run a shorter belt to bypass the smog? Looks like the tensioner moves from the stock location. If not, I guess I can get a pulley delete for it like I did the A/C.

:bang: That's what I was afraid of. I'll probably end up going with a delete pulley. Sucks it's cheaper to buy another smog pump than it is the delete setup.

Perhaps I can put one on backwards and use as a crank evac system. LOL

i don't think you NEED a boost-a-pump but its one of those things that i would feel more comfortable with having than not. I'd err on the side of Wes more so than my opinion.

as far as your 42s, they'll be fine. i'm running 42s on my combo with a 255 and a boost-a-pump.

I agree with this...It's always better to have a larger fuel system than you really need. But I also agree with not buying unnecessary parts. ;) How much is a BAP anyways? If it's not too much $$$ you might as well go ahead and get it.

I'm not saying the BAP isn't necessary...I would probably get it if I was in your situation, just to be safe. I just don't like the idea of paying for something you may not need. :)

i don't know much about the internals. summit has the vortech universal t-rex pump for $216. I'm with Mike and not wanting to spend the extra money but fuel is one of those things that you don't want to skimp on.

I think i'd install it all without the pump and see what it does but just be very careful and watch the pressure. you can always get it and install it later if its needed.

My next question. Are the BAP just like the internal pumps. All made by the same place, just different labels and price tags? I'm on a strict budget right now. :x

boost a pump is simply a small box that will increase the voltage to your fuel pump which will make it pump more.
It will allow you to increase voltage by 50% so up to roughly 17 volts i think

I should be installing mine soon, ill try to remember to take pics.

Btw you think you will max your maf out?

i don't know much about the internals. summit has the vortech universal t-rex pump for $216. I'm with Mike and not wanting to spend the extra money but fuel is one of those things that you don't want to skimp on.

I think i'd install it all without the pump and see what it does but just be very careful and watch the pressure. you can always get it and install it later if its needed.

VOR-8F002-265 or the VOR-8F001-200

Same price, one is prettier :rolleyes: but it also flows 70gph vs 43gph. Either one I'll need this correct? SUM-890023

boost a pump is simply a small box that will increase the voltage to your fuel pump which will make it pump more.
It will allow you to increase voltage by 50% so up to roughly 17 volts i think

I should be installing mine soon, ill try to remember to take pics.

Btw you think you will max your maf out?

The instructions I downloaded for the supercharger show it as a separate pump all together. :shrug: Or are you saying the extra pumps are all the same, it's the relay setup that determines how much extra they pump?

As far as the Mass Air.... just like the injectors, I was told a couple of years ago when I started this project, the LMAF was what I needed. How things can change in two years, I have no idea. :nonono:

I recommend NOT USING A BOOST A PUMP. With a stock fuel pump or aftermarket one with the stock harness. If the pump fails its tells the computer to shut down the motor. Say you have a boost a pump and you need the fuel its putting out, and it quits what tells your computer that it failed, and to stop the motor from running really lean and damaging things. If you need that much fuel, which you wont with your setup, go with a bigger pump, never go with a boost a pump.