do i need longer pushrods, why

dastang2

Dec 11, 2003
tx
do i absolutely need to change the pushrods when i put a set of edlebrock performer heads with pedistal rockers on. pushrods are really expensive and something i don't want to get. thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

i checked and those were stock length pushrods, i believe i will need a different size, i am using the f cam. and i need .060 of shims under my stock rockers since my block has been milled. somebody said the stock ones ruined his valves and somebody else says they are using them but not sure of problems. i do not want to go through all of this hassle. maybe i can shim the rockers more with the heads if i get them and use the stock pushrods.

A set of custom, proper length pushrods is a lot cheaper than wearing out your valveguides, which are not cheap to fix. For an even better example of what happens when valvetrain geometry isnt correctly set up, read HOT ROD this month. They blew up a 5.0 on the dyno by f'ing up the valvetrain, which wore out the exhaust valveguides, which in turn allowed a valve to tag a piston and blew up the engine. Excellent article!

getusummm said:
Lets see if I understand this. You spent $800+ on set of heads, but $80 for pushrods is expensive? I just dont get it.

who said i bought anything, i am researching. i would also need head bolt adapters and either use the stock rockers or get new ones.

i still need to get wheels tires gears and some control arms and have a budget to keep

You won't know the answer to your question until you get it mocked up and check the correct pushrod length from the checker against your stock set's length. That's the downside of the non-adjustablility of these set ups. You can adjust for a pushrod that's a bit too long by shimming the rocker up. But you can do nothing if they're too short. So when you check, if you have to order new ones, be sure you err on the side of having them be a bit too long...

i still think i am going with thumper heads and not having to worry. i would look for a used set but i wanna make sure they are good and not cracked. i am weary of buying used heads but i am up for it if i can see them. look in my sig.