Do i need to fuse my positive wire with a bat in the trunk?

• Sponsors (?)

Make sure it is either fused on the positive side or the ground side. It dosen't make any difference which way you go. I personally use a circuit breaker.

Mine is a resettable breaker from a RV supply house. I think it's an AMP brand (good one). The number is at the house - I'll post it up later. Think it was like $38 for a 150A breaker.

I think he is asking if he shoule fuse the starter lead. If that is what you are asking, then I say no. You can reduce the risk of fire by adding an additional starter solenoid in the trunk.

Oh - yeah, don't put a fuse or breaker in the battery line. Run your cables just inside (in between) the subframe connector on the battery side if you have connectors to protect the cable.

For the alternmator line, you can use the 150A circuit breaker I used:

www.evparts.com

item CB5510 "Hi-Amp, 30VDC, 150amp, manual trip and manual reset" for $36.50

Starter is supposed to drain ALL the current the battery can provide. Therefore if you put a fuse on the starter cable, you will just blow it every time you go to start the car. Unless it was fused higher than the battery's amperage rating, in which case it would do absolutely nothing in the event of short circuit...

All you can do, is be real careful with that wire. Get some of that plastic wire wrap and cut a length about half a foot shorter than your starter wire, and poke the wire thru that.

bock said:
Ok, its not for the starter wire.

I was thinking the one between the batterie and the selenoid.!?

But if i understand,i should put the breaker between the selenoid and the alt?

Are you making this car track legal? ie - cutoff switch. If so, you'll need to run the alternator wire to the back of the car as well. This is the wire that should be fused, as close to the alternator as you can.

bock said:
Not trying to be track legal,just want to gain some tranfert! :D

And be safe.

The whole point of the cutoff switch is safety. With out a switch, if the cable from the battery to the starter solenoid grounds out, the only way you can stop it is by removing the cable from the battery. Bye bye car. Running a fused alternator line to the back and running the switch is the only safe way to do it.

tmoss said:
Oh - yeah, don't put a fuse or breaker in the battery line. Run your cables just inside (in between) the subframe connector on the battery side if you have connectors to protect the cable.

I was thinking running the cable IN the car,under the cover on the driver side rocker.?! I dont want the cable to be damage by something on the road... :nonono: