Do you have a narrow band A/F gauge? I have a question...

GDawg

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2002
Nevada
I've had my Auto Meter narrow band Air/Fuel gauge forever sitting in my A pillar. So the other day I finally hooked it up. I attached the ground to the frame. I attached the switched power to the radio power in. And I took the signal off of the Bank 1 upstream O2 sensor at the PCM.

It works but it reads very lean. I mostly get reds lights and very few yellow lights and never green lights, even at WOT. When I first start up for a minute I'll get even yellow lights but as soon as I drive I drop down to red lights. Seems like the signal voltage is not high enough. Adding 2 foot of 18 gauge wire wouldn't have added enough resistance to lower that voltage would it? The wire from the gauge looks like 22 awg.

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

The gauge of the signal wire is immaterial because the input impedance ("resistance") of the meter is very high meaning it draws little current.

Silly question: Are you sure you're not actually lean?

Can you get a scan tool on the car and verify that the B1S1 signal is switching rich/lean without -- and then with -- the meter connected?

FWIW, with your KB blower setup you might want to consider ditching the NB sensor in favor of a WB setup. You'll get much more valuable information than with what amounts to the "idiot light" of mixture monitoring :)

So you do, or do not get red lights? Haha

I was always under the impression that these gauges are dummy gauges. They just give you an idea of what's going on.

:D I corrected that... I'd like to get a wide band but that and the o2 are expensive so that has to wait. I have a feeling that I am running somewhat lean. But hey, I'm ordering my FR-500s in a week so I'll deal with this for now.

The narrowband gauges are junk and just basically a light show. PLX Devices used to make a wideband sensor setup with a converter box to make the AutoMeter narrowband gauge read properly but you are still putting out $$$ to buy a wideband sensor setup.

Take the narrowband gauge off and sell it... Use the funds towards the cost of a true wideband A/F meter.

I thought it looked nice at the time but now 4 years later after finally installing it, I'll have to think about the wide band. I'm going to have to get that anyways cause I'm going to buy a tuner kit.

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: LC-1 Wideband and XD-1 Digital Gauge Package

Not sure what the difference is but this is the one I bought for $190.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0484149394&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Just sitting in my room :(