Do Your Cars Burn Oil?

swl987

May 6, 2004
Cleveland,Oh
my car only has 6000 miles on it. last summer i changed my oil with mobil synthetic oil. 2000 miles later the dipstick went from all the way full to below the add line. is this normal? i don't beat on the car that bad. does synthetic oil tend to burn up or something? help me out here im nervous.

• Sponsors (?)

My Mach is the best Mustang I've owned so far for not using much oil. My '89 GT used about 1 quart every 800 miles, yet it never smoked and no oil was the engine or anything. ???? My '93 GT used 1 quart every 1,200 miles. And my '04 Mach I just added 1/2 a quart after 2,200 miles. I'm happy with that.

Have you been measuring the oil level before it has time to all settle back into the pan, sometimes waiting a few min allows all the oil to collect at the bottom of the pan thus yielding a higher oil level on the dipstick.

swl987 said:
well that make me feel a little better crazy horse knowing yours burns some too. what do you have your timing set to on your predator?

So far, everyone that does their Diablo tune maxes out their timing. I had my Mach dynoed and had the A/F adjusted and when they set the timing for max performance for my Mach it made the most power with timing REMOVED. I have yet to see another person with any kind of Mustang that has had their timing removed and not maxed out. -12% at 4K-7K and -6% at 2K-4K. A 13HP and 12TQ gain.

swl987 said:
of course i let it settle. how much oil do you guys use for an oil change. i know i used more then what the manual says it takes.

My manual says 6 qts which puts the oil right in the middle of the hatch marks on the dipstick. If you fill the oil to the top mark it takes about 7 qts which is overfull. Engines will burn more oil when they're overfull but usually will only burn off that excess. I'd say start from scratch, fresh oil change with 6 qts and keep an eye on it.
2K miles since last summer? Drive that car more!!

swl987 said:
my car only has 6000 miles on it. last summer i changed my oil with mobil synthetic oil. 2000 miles later the dipstick went from all the way full to below the add line. is this normal? i don't beat on the car that bad. does synthetic oil tend to burn up or something? help me out here im nervous.
NO. If you are not seeing a leak on the ground underneath the engine, or blue smoke out the exhaust, you are doing OK. Just bring the car to a Jiffy lube or change the oil yourself. Scribe a mark on the dipstick at the new fresh oil level mark . This is your true "full" mark". The facory dipsticks are floppy, so you have to be quick to get a true reading.

My 25,000 mile 02 GT used about 1/2 a litre in a couple thousand KMs since its last oil change which startled me a bit. Then I remembered how much time it spends at more than half throttle and cut it some slack :D