Does anyone else find it hard to shift into 3rd real fast?

Monkie

Jan 27, 2002
Under the arch
I think it is the way the shifter is down lower than your waste. But I find it hard to shift into 3rd real fast. Like in my MR2 and dad's Z06 where the shifter is about at chest level I can shift into 3rd as fast as I can 2nd. But not in a 94+ Mustang. Is anyone else with me on this?

• Sponsors (?)

No problem now. Tri-Ax shifter installed. Just preload the shifter (press forward while accelerating) and when the shift light comes one, clutch and shifter pops right into place. Preloading works great for me, but I WON"T try it going into fifth! First thru fourth is a breeze. BTW when I say preload, I don't mean a ton of pressure, just enough to let the shifter slidde into place.

I have a Pro 5.0 and it was the same with a Steeda Triax. I guess in the back of my mind I'm scared of shiftin into 1st. But still, I can bang the hell out of a console shifter that is up high. But a 94+ Mustang shifter I have problems with. :(

Had always been a little scared to miss 3rd until I tried powershifting a few weeks ago. Don't ask me why but it now goes in like a breeze and I haven't missed a shift in months :shrug:

Can't wait to try it at the track ! :banana:

:spot:

only trouble i had with mine was the one time the shift fork, main shaft & syncro went out all at the same time. shifter went into neutral, tranny stayed in 2nd :( but it was factory defect, so it was covered under warranty :banana: but had i known at the time, it would have been bought back, cause if a car is under warranty & undrivable for 30 days, they can do a buy back. my car was outta comission for 40 days :mad:

other than that one time, i've had no problems :shrug:

I find its' easier to hit any gear with the gas pedal planted to the floor. [This could be a problem for your tranny given your the hp listed in your sig though . . .] Also, don't leave your foot on the clutch between gears. Pull it off the clutch several inches away and "strike" and release the clutch as quickly as you can. This takes lots of practice, but it sure is fun . . .

Monkie said:
I think it is the way the shifter is down lower than your waste. But I find it hard to shift into 3rd real fast. Like in my MR2 and dad's Z06 where the shifter is about at chest level I can shift into 3rd as fast as I can 2nd. But not in a 94+ Mustang. Is anyone else with me on this?

It is a slower shift in my normal seat position. At the track I usually move my seat up a little bit. I already have it set at the lowest position so the shifter is actually level or above me. Just barely above but I think you get the idea. I was also reading a book on a few driving techniques. Try putting your elbow into your side to hit 3rd. It also says it helps to put your elbow out to hit second. I havent missed a shift in a while but I have slipped off the stock shifter a few times because my hands were juicy.

Nick

my hands were juicy..............WTF !! :lol: :rlaugh:

I run my Tri-Axe in the tall, 3rd gear is fine.

A 1-2 shift is the problem at 5500, won't go in clean. Lost to some WRK's because of that...... :mad: :mad:

When I first got my Tri-ax I had problems shifting into 3rd. I was hitting the gate in between 1st and 3rd and miss the shift. I had to remember to just palm it into third because when I would grab the knob I would pull it over to the left slightly. Never had a problem with it going into 1st but I sure hated hearing that rev into 7 grand range when I missed the shift.

Design-wise the location of the shifter on the Mustang is terrible. My Probe has a better shifter position than this. I hope they have fixed this on the 05's

You guys have problems shifting into 2nd?! Wtf? I just put it up to 6,500rpms and get ready, 7,000rpms I push the clutch in and try to pull the shifter out of the tranny and 2nd goes right in and I then put the throttle back to the floor and pop out the clutch and the result is a nice 5 second smoke show. :D

I can hammer second gear pretty damn good. A nice chirp and sometimes the back end steps out as a result. Third on the other hand is a problem. Its not a problem with where third is located, but a problem with it grinding. I dont know if i dont push the clutch in all the way, or if I put it into gear before the clutch is all the way, or what it is or if there is just something wrong with my car. When im sittin with the car off or at a light I practice shifting 2nd to 3rd a bit. Its not a bad location for it, but for some reason I always get a grind. I've been getting a little bit better, but damn I could do an AWESOME shift in my 92 Probe. 2nd to 3rd was awesome. You couldn't even really tell I shifted into third, because it was so fast. It was a gutless wonder, but i could drive that thing damn good. I can also shift my dads vette good. Powershift it infact. Kinda scarying steppin out the back end into 4th. For some reason i cant drive my stang good