Does every one of these cars smell like Exhaust?

Well for the record, I have an innovate wideband tied into the exhaust. There is also a carburetor on the engine. Timing is controlled through an MSD timing computer. There are only a few hours on this combo, I had initially set the timing at 10 degrees initial and 32 total. Problem was I could not get the carb lean enough at idle to get out of the 10.5/11:1 afr at idle w/o sacrificing idle quality. That is until I enabled the map sensor and added some vacuum advance. The motor idles at 800 rpm now, the computer shows that the vacuum advance I added brings the total timing up to 27.7 degrees at that idle. W/ the increased timing I was able to lean out the idle to get a 13.7. - 14.0 afr at idle w/ " balance a quarter on the aircleaner" idle smoothness.

So then.... If the thing still stinks after that,.......

• Sponsors (?)

cat removal has sometimes led to this problem for me, but at other times (different cars) its just that the car is old and not sealed up all that well. Now its to the point that when i go to look at a car i dont bother looking at mileage initially because so many ppl replace speedos and therefore the mileage can be faked i just crank the car up and see what smells!

After over 200k miles in my 79 Capri hatch, I have never had that problem, either with the t tops in, ac on, or t tops out. If the evap stuff is in place, its tuned, and the hatch gaskets are tight, there should not be a prob.

FWIW I just had it tested again yesterday with the same Magnaflow spun-metallic cats on a dyno-sniffer test. Now they have 4.5 years and 33,000 miles on them, 2,900 of which were under hard-use conditions on road courses, in many case EGT's were hot enough to boil the fuel in the tank thanks to the proximity of the tailpipes. I just passed emissions with them again:

Test...allowed....grams/mile
HC.......1.00........0.64
CO.....12.00........7.77
NOx.....2.50........0.38

FWIW I just had it tested again yesterday with the same Magnaflow spun-metallic cats on a dyno-sniffer test. Now they have 4.5 years and 33,000 miles on them, 2,900 of which were under hard-use conditions on road courses, in many case EGT's were hot enough to boil the fuel in the tank thanks to the proximity of the tailpipes. I just passed emissions with them again:

Test...allowed....grams/mile
HC.......1.00........0.64
CO.....12.00........7.77
NOx.....2.50........0.38

Really! Nice...this makes me contemplate actually using one on my soon-to-be turbo setup...

The old N/A combo smelled pretty bad because I had a fueling issue - probably the MAF. I got my best runs at the track with 55psi of fuel pressure. At idle, it would tear you up it was so rich. Now that I can tune the car with a lap top, I've gotten rid of the smell of fuel at idle. I'm sure that's the case because my hatch does not seal well, and I do not have the rubber shifter cover in place anymore, but still don't have any issues.

Well for the record, I have an innovate wideband tied into the exhaust. There is also a carburetor on the engine. Timing is controlled through an MSD timing computer. There are only a few hours on this combo, I had initially set the timing at 10 degrees initial and 32 total. Problem was I could not get the carb lean enough at idle to get out of the 10.5/11:1 afr at idle w/o sacrificing idle quality. That is until I enabled the map sensor and added some vacuum advance. The motor idles at 800 rpm now, the computer shows that the vacuum advance I added brings the total timing up to 27.7 degrees at that idle. W/ the increased timing I was able to lean out the idle to get a 13.7. - 14.0 afr at idle w/ " balance a quarter on the aircleaner" idle smoothness.

So then.... If the thing still stinks after that,.......

As long as it doesn't affect idle quality, you can lean it out even more. If memory serves, my car really liked to idle around 15:1

Mine had no cats and dumped single chambers. Never smelled like gas so I never understood all the complaining. Plus I like the smell of gas, hole in my brain be damned

My car smelt like hell last summer and ran rich enough to burn your eyes at idle.

Culprit:
View attachment 154147

I bought the magnaflow X-pipe with the 4 cats (2.5") and fixing all the damn issues... This car better smell about the same as a Chevy Volt at the tailpipe haha!
Just so I know what you are talking about. Is that a pinched off fuel line? or are you pointing out the piece of the smog system???