Does Ford paint their cars with crayons?

UrbanRedneck

Mar 27, 2008
Throughout the year that I've owned this car, it seems like if I just look at it crooked a scratch will shopw up. I have never in my life seen a car that is so freaken fragile, it's rediculous. Maybe I just have a color that shows imperfections like a goddamn magnafying glass or something?

Anywho, the reason for my rant is this. The other day I noticed a spot on the right rear quarter of my car where there are 3 or 4 tiny rock chips that are through to primer. I figured oh well, it happens and I was forced to DD the car through winter so it's expected. Then, over the next day or two I noticed two more spots with similiar small groupings of chips, both on the left front fender. I made the same conclusion here though. But I noticed that the ones on the rear are VERY obvious when the car is clean. Even though they are so tiny, the contrast between the primer and the alloy (nice job painting a nearly black car on whire primer...) makes them stick out like a sore thumb. So I decided to look into getting them repaired. I read about the method of using touchup paint and wetsanding it to make these marks dissapear, and spoke with Emay about it and he confirmed sucess with this. Since I have no balls to touch my car with sandpaper, I emailed a local body shop that paints a lot of race cars and does wicked good musclecar restorations. He said that that method works great with solid cars like black, but on my mettalic car it would look like ****. he suggested that it may require partial repainting of the panel, but that he'd have to see the car. So I decided at that point that I'd just have to color the primer with touchup paint to make it a little less obvious and live with it.

But then today I noticed a few chips on the leading edge of the hood. I inspected further and there are countless tiny chips all over that part of the hood, the bumper, the fronts of the fenders around the headlights, and even a few on the top of the hood. I KNOW that that **** wasn't there last week. And there is some kind of orange powder on the bumper that is kinda stuck, that I am sure will come off with a claybar but I dunno where the **** it came from. I don't remember going through anything that would have thrown a lot of **** up, or behind any trucks or anything, I usually avoid dumptrucks and plow trucks, and keep rpetty good following distances. I don't know where the **** this **** came from. But it doesn't matter where it came from anyway. So add those chips to the list that already includes 2 dings (one that I found in a parking lot, one my fault), a few scratches, and one uglier scratch on the rear bumber. I know that this **** happens when you drive a car all the time, but I think that after only a year and 11k miles this is just a little excessive. My brothers Camaro that has 135k miles on it is in better shape it seems. WTF!

I also know that most of these things are little tiny blemishes that probably wouldn't bother most people. But this is my first new car, my first nice car too. I try so hard to keep it that way and it seems like I'm just cursing myself or something. Every time I see pictures of peoples cars on here that look so perfect and shiny I wonder how the hell you guys all avoid this ****. But I always just tell myself that these little things don't show up in pictures (I doubt they would), and imagine you all have **** like that that bugs you inside lol. I dunno. I just feel like there's no point in doing visual mods (like the wheels I am about to order, lowering it, hoodpins, etc.) when it's just gonna get progressively more scratched, dinged, etc.... I feel like I shoulda just kept my rusty ass ****ing Dodge Ram, life was much easier when I didn't give a **** (and even so, it barely even got scratches from rubbing trees and whatnot offroad. Plenty of them from rocks though lol) about how my car looked. But I remember when my brother had his new edge (long time ago, engine blew up and he sold the car as a roller. now has the LS1) it had all kinds of scratches and stuff too, but I was in love with the thing. So I guess I'll just get over it and accept the facts of life, it will still look bad ass regardless right? Maybe someday when my debts are all paid and I have a house so the girlfriend is happy and whatnot I can save up and get all the little things fixed. Justa ll winter I couldn't wait until it got warm so I could clean the car real nice and wax it and stuff again. Now I feel like what's the point.

[end rant]

Sorry for the long, useless, assanine post. I just had to let all that out and figured I'd spare my girlfriend/parents/dog the agony.

• Sponsors (?)

Lol I know exactly what you mean man, it almost seems as if its on purpose. The more I try and keep my car looking good the more stuff happens to it. Never before have I had to drive behind a freakin dump truck dropping little rocks and I got this car and have had this happen twice! Got a few chips on the hood and bumper. Really pisses me off. Or if my car is dirty the weather is perfect, I wash it and all of sudden its like I did a freaken rain dance or dust storm dance. Its impossible! But that's just love man...
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah it seems if you TRY to keep the car nice, it gets messed up. I drive a 2008 ford F-250 Deisel for work, we get in and out of constantly to go up tower, throwing climbing harnesses in, tools etc...drive on gravel every day, and the thing is MINT...WTF

Painting a car at Ford has to be the last priority on the list of quality control.They don't even cut and buff the clear coat. If you do try to cut/wetsand and buff it turns out a milky looking blotchy mess.I know, I tried it on a small section.

Yeah I hate to say it, but from what I see GM and Chrysler seem to have higher quality paint. Maybe GM learned from their mistakes with the peely paint of the 80s/early 90s and tries harder now or something.

My mom drives her Jeep to indiana every day to work. It's a 2008 Liberty and already has over 30k miles. She drives on the highways south of the city a lot, which are much worse than where I drive, and takes it to touch-type car washes all the time. Not a goddamn scratch on the thing.

I know EXACTLY what you mean UrbanRedneck! I have an '07 Alloy Metallic GT and i have little paint chips all over the front left fender and the leading edge of the hood too. There are numerous little scratches all over the car as well (most of which go away when I give it a good waxing though). This Alloy color really does show chips and scratches well. Funny to think I thought it would hide them fairly well...

I think to most everyone else our cars probably look like they're in awesome condition. It's just because we love the cars so much that we know where every little imperfection is. If you don't look at it under a microscope you can't see any of the imperfections, on my car at least.

Anyway I'm bringing mine into the body shop early next week to have them take care of most of the obvious paint chips. For the last two years my 'Stang has been my DD but I hope to get a good winter car/DD before next winter so hopefully I can keep my Mustang relatively scratch and paint chip free.

My truck was black, and my Jetta before that was black, and my grand marquis before that was black. So with the exception of my Dart (white, someday Sublime Green) all of my cars have been black. I SWORE I'd never buy another black or near black car again because it is so hard to keep them nice. Then when I was looking at Mustangs, my color choices went grabber orange, yellow, vista blue. But, what did I wind up falling in love with? Alloy. I knew better, but it just looks sooooo cool haha.

Nasty, what do you mean? What am I gonna do in washing/detailing that will prevent paint damage?

Nasty, what do you mean? What am I gonna do in washing/detailing that will prevent paint damage?

Check out the Detailing forum here. I did a write up a little while ago. :nice:

Sealing the paint, etc will provide more protection. It's not going to do anything for a nice 'little' rock that flies up at 80 mph. No car is going to not be affected by that though. I don't think Ford's got a problem in that sense. The clear coat is soft but that's it. I've got a few chips in my paint but that's just the nature of the beast of driving your car.

The less people that detail their cars properly, the more looks my car gets. :D :rlaugh:

I agree as well, the original post was just way to long.
This is what it should have said:

"Does ford use low quality paint/clear coat? It seems that i have noticed a large number of scratches and dings on my lightly used car."

answer:
"Without proper care for your paint, especially with darker colors it has been observed by many that fords show some decent wear and tear..."

Learn some basics of how to wax and polish...keep that $30k car looking like a $million$ bucks.

This is just why I hate to buy a brand spankin' new car anymore! I tend to be too much of a FANATIC in trying to avoid that first scratch, and when I get it, it seems to have "just appeared," or "come outta no where." So, I much prefer to buy a one or two year old relatively low-mileage used off the lot and let someone else deal with the trauma of the first few blemishes as well as taking that awful first year depreciation "hit." :D

aside from taking care of it and detailing it correctly paints of today are softer than they were 20 years ago. Thank all the eco nuts ford and most of the other automakers have switched over to eco friendly paints, wich happen to be alot softer than the old laquer and enamel paints that used to be shot on cars.

aside from taking care of it and detailing it correctly paints of today are softer than they were 20 years ago. Thank all the eco nuts ford and most of the other automakers have switched over to eco friendly paints, wich happen to be alot softer than the old laquer and enamel paints that used to be shot on cars.

It's not only that though. Look at the European cars, they all have a much harder clearcoat. I mean a lot harder. Most dual action polishers won't even remove swirls and micro marring from their clearcoats. Most need something more aggressive like a Flex at the minimum or a rotary. Domestic cars can be all remedied with a dual action polisher like the G100 or G110 from Meguiars or PC 7242.

It's not only that though. Look at the European cars, they all have a much harder clearcoat. I mean a lot harder. Most dual action polishers won't even remove swirls and micro marring from their clearcoats. Most need something more aggressive like a Flex at the minimum or a rotary. Domestic cars can be all remedied with a dual action polisher like the G100 or G110 from Meguiars or PC 7242.

BMW has some kind of anti scratch clearcoat or something like that i'm pretty sure thats like impossible to scratch. we had an M3 in the shop i work at when i first started so i don't remember the details. it had some real deep like basically key marks on the side of the car that we couldn't feather them out at all. tried wet sanding a little bit and it was having no effect.

i was sanding a jeep today and noticed how hard the clearcoat was. went through quite a bit of sand paper and didn't get nearly as far as fast as with GM vehicles. [haven't dealt with many fords in the shop, being a GM dealer, but i'd say they are comparable to the GM vehicles ]

i think ford has a good quality paint, its just user error when washing to cause softer newer paint to start scratching. my car had some slight scratches from the old owner washing it, but i've got most of them out. got the car right before it started turning to winter, so i haven't gotten a chance to give it a full out wax and detail. soon as it gets warmer out i'm going to town :nice:

i don't think GM has any better paint though. i've seen cars come in that look like the owner washed it with steel wool and rocks.

I had my 2000 Mustang for almost 7 years and drove it 30k miles mostly on the highway and had ONE stone chip its entire life. Keep in mind I lived and worked near the beach, so I was constantly driving on roads with tons of sand and pebbles.

On my current mustang, I've had it for just over 1.5 years, and I've put 11k miles on it. Last time I really looked was around 9k miles and there are stone chips everywhere. One on the hood down to the metal, several to the side of the headlights, a few on the bumper... I seem to remember one near my quarter windows as well. Hell I even have one on the back side of the front fender flare BEHIND the front wheel. Don't ask me how a stone even got there!