Does My Car Have Keyless Entry?

Jly154

Nov 29, 2015
Nebraska
hey guys I was wondering how to truly tell if I have keyless entry I read that if the door is locked and you pull the door handle up and the light comes on you have it. I tried it and it does and I checked behind the cover in the trunk for the brain and it dosent have the brain but it has the bracket for it and I found the shorter thing to program the key fob but don't see the other harnes. Any help is appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

If you have electric door locks, then you can have keyless entry.

For about $100 you can get that plus a remote car starter (installed). :)

It would cost you more to retro fit the car with a factory keyless entry system. Go buy a car starter.

For a little more, you can have it turn your defrosters on or even roll up/down your electric windows.

If you have a T5, it houses a neutral safety switch. Find an installer who knows how to make use of this on a manual car. You're golden if you have an auto.

Last edited:
If you have electric door locks, then you can have keyless entry.

For about $100 you can get that plus a remote car starter (installed). :)

It would cost you more to retro fit the car with a factory keyless entry system. Go buy a car starter.

For a little more, you can have it turn your defrosters on or even roll up/down your electric windows.

If you have a T5, it houses a neutral safety switch. Find an installer who knows how to make use of this on a manual car. You're golden if you have an auto.
From what I've read like you said it is easier to buy aftermarket but if I can just buy the brain and the fobs id almost rather do that but I had planned on adding on remote start in the future. So is there an aftermarket remote starter that has keyless entry correct?

From what I've read like you said it is easier to buy aftermarket but if I can just buy the brain and the fobs id almost rather do that but I had planned on adding on remote start in the future. So is there an aftermarket remote starter that has keyless entry correct?

Lots of them. Pick your poison. Try crutchfield website for instance. If you decide to install it yourself, this might be of some use: 1995-97 Ford Mustang Alarm, Remote Starter, Keyless Entry Wire Colors

Here's what one of the kits might look like: Viper Model 4105V Remote start system with keyless entry at Crutchfield.com

The body electrical harness in some vehicles have provisions for the anti-theft/keyless entry even if the car wasn't optioned to include it. Do some research to find out if your car is so equipped. If it is, then all you would need, as you said, are the key fobs and the anti-theft/keyless entry module. It would be plug-and-play if your car is equipped with the correct body harness.

I did similar research with my '95 Cobra with the intention of installed the factory keyless entry system. Unfortunately, my car does not have the correct body harness (the bracket and connections would be under the driver side trunk liner were it so equipped). I would have to swap in a complete chassis harness from another vehicle if I wanted the factory keyless option. I probably will do this in the future as I plan to swap in a later model charcoal or black interior.

The body electrical harness in some vehicles have provisions for the anti-theft/keyless entry even if the car wasn't optioned to include it. Do some research to find out if your car is so equipped. If it is, then all you would need, as you said, are the key fobs and the anti-theft/keyless entry module. It would be plug-and-play if your car is equipped with the correct body harness.

I did similar research with my '95 Cobra with the intention of installed the factory keyless entry system. Unfortunately, my car does not have the correct body harness (the bracket and connections would be under the driver side trunk liner were it so equipped). I would have to swap in a complete chassis harness from another vehicle if I wanted the factory keyless option. I probably will do this in the future as I plan to swap in a later model charcoal or black interior.
All I see behind the carpet/cover is the shorting thing to program the key fob and the bracket/housing thing to mount the brain on I didn't see the actual harness for the brain but it was dark and cold and I was in shorts when I looked lol I'll have to look on my next day dad

And that sucks man I read that somewhere that you have to completely swap wiring in the car to do it but hey if your gonna swap interior might as well. Thanks for your input!