Does removing the smog pump cause trouble codes?

Hi, I recently checked my engine codes and got the codes 41, 81, and 91.

The 41 and 91 are from the oxygen sensors not working. I can verify this with terrible mileage and black tailpipes. The 81 is from the "thermactor air circuit." I have removed my smog pump and plugged the lines. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and got the code 81. I ask because the oxygen sensors are good, and I am thinking that if the TAB and TAD are bad it might cause the oxygen sensors not to switch on. Any truth to this?

• Sponsors (?)

89MustangGX said:
It won't trip a light, but it will throw a code. If you run your codes you will see it (maybe #83??).

Mine threw an 81 for the "thermactor air circuit".

eagle87 said:
I also have 41,91. I have removed the air pump also, I would like to know more about this becuase 41 and 91 read that the motor is LEAN. If somebody could explain further.

It means either lean or not switching on. Based on the fact that I have terrible gas mileage and black tailpipes (not to mention the rich smell) I'm going to have to guess that mine just aren't turning on.

My air pump is making a strange noise, that is rpm sensitive. It gets louder when you rev the engine. I can only describe the noise as a whirring noise, and I was wondering if this noise is normal or is something bad?? I was also thinking of removing it completely. Does this cause you to fail emissions, or any other side effect??

hi
I just went through chasing down codes and i also had 41,91,81, check the tad solonoids located on the pass side shock tower mine were cracked, replaced both all codes gone. the 41,91 were false codes due to the code 81.
hope this helps