Does the '81 Ford Shop Manual include turbo?

Lscman

Jun 29, 2006
I am trying to verify whether the yellow factory "Ford Shop Powertrain Shop Manual" includes turbo motor service procedures. This engine was discontinued during that year & very few cars were produced.

• Sponsors (?)

I dont know about the '81 Ford Shop Manual, but I bought a set of '79 Ford Shop Manuals off Ebay last year, and yes the Turbo configuration/spec was in there. So I'm assuming that the '81 shop manuals would also cover the turbo.

I found out that the carb 2.3L Turbo is covered in Ford's OEM Engine/Powertrain manuals for years '79 thru '81.

I decided to buy an '80 shop manual for my '79 off ebay because my experience with their service literature shows that later publication releases have many updates, corrections and revisions that are sorely needed for first year publication.

I also found that the blue '79 manuals had the Mustang & Pinto literature combined (yuck). In '80, they straightened their literature out a bit, combining Fox cars. According to some experts, the yellow Powertrain books that began in '80 seem better.

Thnx for thoughts

Lscman said:
...............I decided to buy an '80 shop manual for my '79 off ebay because ..........

OK, I learned after screwing up a bit. It seems the ole' Pinto & Granada models clutter and pollute Ford's Mustang literature through 1980. Many pics and explanations are tailored for non-Mustang. After reviewing my recently-received '80 manuals, I regret not choosing the '81 manuals, since I've confirmed the turbo carb motor is covered in these manuals.

In my opinion, the Ford '81 shop manuals would be the best choice for early carb turbo owners. This is when Ford finally realized the Fox Mustang and Fairmont need to be combined the same manual, not Pinto and Granada.

Again, the early carb turbo 2.3 is well-documented in the '81 manuals. There are no significant changes in these cars from '79-'81, aside from rear hatch striker upgrade and the 2.8L V6 being discontinued.

Hope this helps somebody.