Does your car scare you? mine should...

mr_woodster

Jul 28, 2003
Riverside, CA
Well buttoning up the small stuff as im breaking in the motor . Some issues so far ive fixed (with some advice from my pop and 140cilx)...

Small oil leak on the front of the motor : fixed, forgot to put sealant on the cam bolt :doh: (thanks 140 for the reminder!)

vaccum lines: just finding random lines that were once useful , plugging them seems to help :)

Blueish smoke:
I suspected the valve seals from the start, my dad suggested i change the oil (never do this enough on a rebuilt motor) becuase we had put "extra" oil in when we first started it up..bout a quart and a half extra! So far it seems to be smoking less, we'll see.
-if not i already picked up a new RUBBER vavle cover gasket and the metal jacket valve seals :nice:

Conclusion, my car is very very scary to drive...some how by the time i shift to 3rd my speedo is on its second trip around the dial! The boost floats (i have it ghetto rigged , not a 'real boost controller') from about 10-14psi...right now i can imagine the tuned 20+psi comming soon.....btw, had a Fbody back down from racing today :D

• Sponsors (?)

I'm looking forward to finishing my engine. Should make some pretty good power once I'm all done with it. I'm gettin there...all I have to do yet is buy an oil pump, a cam, head studs, a bunch of annoying small stuff that I need, and get the machine work done on my head...then get it all back together, and I'll be set.

Red_LX said:
...a bunch of annoying small stuff that I need...

I know that feeling! took almost 2 months for me to get my motor together, buying odds and ends (head studs, felpro 1035...machine work) So far its been worth it, my car is scary fast (for me!). Im just saving for lots of extra mods to get me to my 300/3-- hp/tq goal , mind you im looking to pull 300 at the rear wheels with a stock T3,Stock 35lb injectors, and Stock la3! They say its been done, well call me doubting thomas , ill believe when i See it!(on my dyno chart! :))

i cant wait, Im finally greaduated so Now (as soon as i have cash) i can start on rebuilding mine and Hopefully over the winter get it ready to go in the stang next summer. my waiting is finally over! Now i just need a job to get it going. Hearing sucessful swap stories makes me even more excited.

Dr.

Damnit, I really need someone to give me a hand with pulling the engine out of my car, so I can get the new one in! All I need right now are new head bolts, and some miscellaneus bolts, nuts, and washers. Hopefully i'll be able to pull the misc. parts from the n/a engine.

ive give you a hand, but ya...florida is abit far for me ;) if your building a turbo motor, save yourself the trouble buy a head stud kit...reusable, very strong, and in my opinion makes putting the head/gasket on cake work!

i4power said:
Sounds like a good idea. Where can I pick those up, and are they a bolt-on replacement with no modifications?

I believe summitracing.com and racerwalsh sells them (same price i think). A stock replacement head bolt kit for the 2.3 is around 30$, the head stud kit is around 70$, so figure two head gasket changes and your pretty much broke even..not to mention the head studs are a higher grade bolt(stronger). Yes, there is No modification nessicary, just screw in the studs, slide the head onto the studs and put the nuts on...torque them to the value's that come on the paper w/ the studs. Walah !