dohc megasquirt tune needed

NO BRAKES

Feb 8, 2006
Avon Lake, Ohio
Ok guys... So i need MAJOR help. I know this is a slim chance. But does anyone have a tune for their megasquirt for a DOHC cobra motor with low impedance injectors i can have?

I have been able to get mine to do nothing but idle since december.
I have a fully built motor, gt45 turbo, ford gt cams,etc.....electrical stuff is siemens 83# injectors, coil packs, edis8 module, Megasquirt2 ecu.

if any of you guys have something similar for the dohc, i can mod it from there. I am having an issue because the guy i bought my injectors from told me they were high impedance... they are low impedance. This could have killed my injector drivers in the megasquirt or possibly my injectors.

I am hoping that a proper program will take my worries away and allow me to get the car to the dyno for tuning.

• Sponsors (?)

well... for anyone that wants to know in the future.. i was able to test my injector leads with a noid light. each one of my injector leads pulses like they are supposed to. However... there are still cylinders that are not getting fuel. right now i am in the process of sending my injectors to witch hunter to have them test the flow and clean the injectors of any debris. its costing me almost $200 to have the set checked and cleaned, but its cheaper than a new set of 83#ers!

Hi,
Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but I can add a few comments, maybe something will help you. :shrug:
The injector drivers on megasquirt are setup for high impedance injectors. You can't directly run low impedance injectors on the MS injector drivers, or they will burn out. Sounds like you tested your drivers as good, so they aren't burnt out yet. You will have to run either some big ass resistors, or the better option is to run a flyback board to keep the MS injectors drivers safe.
If you already did that and still can't get it to run right, then it is probably something to do with the PWM or similar settings. I haven't played with MS much, but my best recommendation is to get on a megasquirt only forum and ask/search a similar question, about running low impedance injectors and what kind of settings those like. Specifically, I would look for information from the Ford 2.3 Turbo guys. They run low impedance injectors from the factory and have that pretty well figured out. The injector settings should be similar.
Sorry I can't contribute more, but I haven't played with MS much yet.
Good luck.

that's not entirely true...I ran 4 low impedance injectors on my neon using MS without any issue...however, 4 is the limit without a flyback board or resistor box, and its still not entirely safe...regardless, aren't 84lbers a big huge?(good for something like 1300HP on a v8?) I guess we really would need to know more about the setup...such as the base fuel pressure, you say you cant get it to do more than idle? why? what happens when you blip the throttle? super rich AFRs?

Hi,
Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but I can add a few comments, maybe something will help you. :shrug:
The injector drivers on megasquirt are setup for high impedance injectors. You can't directly run low impedance injectors on the MS injector drivers, or they will burn out. Sounds like you tested your drivers as good, so they aren't burnt out yet. You will have to run either some big ass resistors, or the better option is to run a flyback board to keep the MS injectors drivers safe.
If you already did that and still can't get it to run right, then it is probably something to do with the PWM or similar settings. I haven't played with MS much, but my best recommendation is to get on a megasquirt only forum and ask/search a similar question, about running low impedance injectors and what kind of settings those like. Specifically, I would look for information from the Ford 2.3 Turbo guys. They run low impedance injectors from the factory and have that pretty well figured out. The injector settings should be similar.
Sorry I can't contribute more, but I haven't played with MS much yet.
Good luck.

i have the MS2 supposedly (what a ms guy told me) all i have to do to is change some settings to run low resistance injectors and im good. I talked to a dsm guy i work with and he had told me about the flyback board, but the ms guy i talked to didnt mention one. cause the MS2 should be able to handle it.

that's not entirely true...I ran 4 low impedance injectors on my neon using MS without any issue...however, 4 is the limit without a flyback board or resistor box, and its still not entirely safe...regardless, aren't 84lbers a big huge?(good for something like 1300HP on a v8?) I guess we really would need to know more about the setup...such as the base fuel pressure, you say you cant get it to do more than idle? why? what happens when you blip the throttle? super rich AFRs?

currently i am set at 37#'s of fuel press. ive tried it all over the place.

when the car first started, and you touched the throttle it died.
now when you start the car it idles, and you can touch the throttle but it sounds like one big huge mess of detonation.
it smokes out the garage real right quick.
I get two different readings on my wideband. the gauge will read somewhere around 17.4(i think) and the laptop reads numbers all over the place from 12 to 22. its been a couple weeks since i fired the car up so i dont remember the afr to a T.

the basics of the build are...
gt-45 turbo

new forged cobra crank
legend ultralight weight forged rods
probe 17cc forged pistoms
speedpro bearings
all in a 99 teksid block

stock 4v heads with ford gt(supercar) cams
hollowed out intake
accufab turbocharger/supercharger t.b.
83lb injectors

Megasquirt2
car when it actually starts running properly is projected to have 900whp.

what the car looks like, so you know i have something here im dealing with.

Attachments

• edit car.JPG
    edit car.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 238
which wideband? which wideband gauge, I'd be more inclined to trust the wideband gauge, to me it sounds like you are running extremely lean...do you have any idle surge?(idle speed going up and down) alternatively the condition may not be fuel related at all...what is your timing around idle? one other thing...what are your accelration enrichment bins set at?

p.s. as far as Megasquirt 2(or 1 for that matter goes) if you are using the high resolution code, you CANNOT run low impedance injectors, since it uses the part of the ecu used to control low impedance injectors(then your back to the flyback board/resistor box situation)

which wideband? which wideband gauge, I'd be more inclined to trust the wideband gauge, to me it sounds like you are running extremely lean...do you have any idle surge?(idle speed going up and down) alternatively the condition may not be fuel related at all...what is your timing around idle? one other thing...what are your accelration enrichment bins set at?

p.s. as far as Megasquirt 2(or 1 for that matter goes) if you are using the high resolution code, you CANNOT run low impedance injectors, since it uses the part of the ecu used to control low impedance injectors(then your back to the flyback board/resistor box situation)

the wideband is an innovate with the innovate gauge. i dont have any idle surge. it idles around 800-900 and while it idles it pops every 8sec or so. kinda like it will run almost smooth then it'll pop out the exhaust.
hoping that my issue was not fuel related is why i had asked if anyone had i tune that i could modify mine off of. but... it doesnt sound like anyone has something like i have.
the cold accel enrichment is set at (ms) 1.5 and the cold accel multi is at 130%

and im wishing i had my injectors so i could play with this thing a little more... but they are on their way to witch hunter to get tested.

So when are you going to either get a resister pack or flyback board for your setup? More than one person has mentioned that it is required for MS2 to run low impedance injectors. It may not be the main root of your problem, but it definately isn't helping anything and makes things much more complicated to sort out.

So when are you going to either get a resister pack or flyback board for your setup? More than one person has mentioned that it is required for MS2 to run low impedance injectors. It may not be the main root of your problem, but it definately isn't helping anything and makes things much more complicated to sort out.

quoted from diyautotune.... You do NOT need this(flyback board kit) if you are using a MegaSquirt equipped with the PCBv3.0, this is only for PCBv2.2 users running low impedance injectors!

because the megasquirt II version3 comes with the flyback board installed into the unit.
how about try not being a dick and help a fellow mustang guy out. thats what these guys are doing.
I fully appreciate them for trying to help me, cause im lost with this thing. and there is never anyone cruising the MS forums.
i have a local guy also helping me out that has done 2 MS systems before. he is stumped as to why my car is not running correctly.

are you running the hi-res code? one way to find out is to read the "read me" file in the folder...or whatever other file covers the changes from the previous version....because if you are, you cant run low impedance injectors...but I dont think fuel is your problem if you areng surging..or at least not on the lean side...sometimes you can run so rich that your AFRs will show lean, you could try pulling fuel at idle until it starts to surge, then add enough back in to smooth it back out...once it smooths enough not to surge it will be somewhere in the 14-15.7:1 range....once you do that you will know the fuel is close to correct(enough to start tuning) next up...timing...16 degrees should be fine(I was running 35 degrees at idle on the neon...but that engine could take crazy amounts of timing) but if I were you I would also play with increasing the timing...maybe to the mid 20s...this tends to smooth out the idle quite a bit(idle timing wont make your car detonate, there is no load on the engine...just watch your timing under running RPMs and loads, I would also try to get your hands on a stock Cobra timing map....I would think you would be able to get one from anyone who is able to pull one with a flash tuner...with a stock map you have a base guideline on what Ford considered "safe" timing) next after idle timing...move on to your acceleration wizard...not cold start enrichments....acceleration enrichments....which are meant to keep your engine from going lean when you blip the throttle(note: accel enrichments are NOT used for tuning WOT, just for throttle blips) personally I found that any enrichments at all were too rich for my combo and I turned them off...anyway, lets back off from Megasquirt completely for a second and start with basics...first off, your firing order is correct I assume...all plug wires run to the correct plugs...second, are you running EDIS-8(SAW output from MS) or are you running coil outputs from MS? if coil outputs...they are wired correctly to the correct coil packs....also check your EDIS-8 module wiring....just trying to verify that the engine isn't misfiring

are you running the hi-res code? one way to find out is to read the "read me" file in the folder...or whatever other file covers the changes from the previous version....because if you are, you cant run low impedance injectors...but I dont think fuel is your problem if you areng surging..or at least not on the lean side...sometimes you can run so rich that your AFRs will show lean, you could try pulling fuel at idle until it starts to surge, then add enough back in to smooth it back out...once it smooths enough not to surge it will be somewhere in the 14-15.7:1 range....once you do that you will know the fuel is close to correct(enough to start tuning) next up...timing...16 degrees should be fine(I was running 35 degrees at idle on the neon...but that engine could take crazy amounts of timing) but if I were you I would also play with increasing the timing...maybe to the mid 20s...this tends to smooth out the idle quite a bit(idle timing wont make your car detonate, there is no load on the engine...just watch your timing under running RPMs and loads, I would also try to get your hands on a stock Cobra timing map....I would think you would be able to get one from anyone who is able to pull one with a flash tuner...with a stock map you have a base guideline on what Ford considered "safe" timing) next after idle timing...move on to your acceleration wizard...not cold start enrichments....acceleration enrichments....which are meant to keep your engine from going lean when you blip the throttle(note: accel enrichments are NOT used for tuning WOT, just for throttle blips) personally I found that any enrichments at all were too rich for my combo and I turned them off...anyway, lets back off from Megasquirt completely for a second and start with basics...first off, your firing order is correct I assume...all plug wires run to the correct plugs...second, are you running EDIS-8(SAW output from MS) or are you running coil outputs from MS? if coil outputs...they are wired correctly to the correct coil packs....also check your EDIS-8 module wiring....just trying to verify that the engine isn't misfiring

thank you sooo much for your help! sounds like you reallllly know your stuff! i will try modding things when my injectors come back.

i have found a "high display value" but nothing about high resolution in the read me portion.

i have checked my plug wires numerous times. everything looks correct.
i am running the edis 8
i would assume that my coilpacks are wired correctly because if i try and switch the coil pack harnesses around, the motor wont run at all.

I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to help you solve the problem. You never said what version of MS2 you had and you implied that you didn't have a flyback circuit or resistor packs. That is a problem and I was trying to point it out. Now, you tell me that you have MS 2.3 (which I hadn't seen yet and only seems to be offered by DIY autotube) and it has a flyback circuit built in. So don't call me a dick for pointing out something that is not standardly included in MS2, which you didn't think you even had, yet is required for you to run low impedance injectors.

I should have known better than to try to help you. I knew your personality from your previous posts. I'm done here. Good luck.

quoted from diyautotune.... You do NOT need this(flyback board kit) if you are using a MegaSquirt equipped with the PCBv3.0, this is only for PCBv2.2 users running low impedance injectors!

because the megasquirt II version3 comes with the flyback board installed into the unit.
how about try not being a dick and help a fellow mustang guy out. thats what these guys are doing.
I fully appreciate them for trying to help me, cause im lost with this thing. and there is never anyone cruising the MS forums.
i have a local guy also helping me out that has done 2 MS systems before. he is stumped as to why my car is not running correctly.

sorry I cant be more specific help yet...I am ordering a MS2 v3.0 myself for my 4 valve engine in a couple weeks from symtech labs(my neon MS supplier...or rather my new one, my old one went out of business a couple years ago) out of curiosity and off topic, do you have IMRC plates on your engine or it a later 4 valve?

anyway, wait till you get your injectors back and update then

sorry I cant be more specific help yet...I am ordering a MS2 v3.0 myself for my 4 valve engine in a couple weeks from symtech labs(my neon MS supplier...or rather my new one, my old one went out of business a couple years ago) out of curiosity and off topic, do you have IMRC plates on your engine or it a later 4 valve?

anyway, wait till you get your injectors back and update then

nope no imrc plates. i deleted the butterflys and epoxied the holes.

I put the injectors back in, new stainless fuel filter. I found some particulates of the filter in the top of the injectors when i took em out. I had them tested anyway. all injectors are good. The flyback board inside the MS2 is ok.
car doesnt smoke the garage out anymore after the settings were changed for low impedance inj after the cleaning.

annnndddd... yyaaaa... i checked the timing... oh boy.

im gona try any explain this as best as possible... on the coil packs they are listed on each pack 1234 5678 or however they are listed. I ran all of my plug wires to each cylinder from each pack. #1 post goes to #1 cylinder, #2 goes to #2cyl ... and so on. well i checked and checked and rechecked my plug wires and they match up from the posts to the cylinder #s. but here is the kicker. when i put the timing light on the #1 plug wire, the timing light flashes at the timing mark on the balancer that is 180* out of time. WTF!

i checked the wires again. ok. i check to make sure the balancer is properly mounted on the crank, yup its on the keyway. i tried unplugging the coil pack harnesses and switching them, car wouldnt start. so only thing that i can think of is that maybe 2 of the plug wires are somehow backwards? maybe more? but the #1 cylinder does not even ignite any fuel. plug still looks new. some are black some are grey and i think one was white.

im thinking that i have to have a couple wires backwards somewhere. but going by what the coils are marked, i have the proper wiring of the plug wires.

does anyone have a diagram of the plug wire routing from the coil packs? or know where i could get one?
i have searched other forums, but i guess i didnt look hard enough. i can find firing order, but no labled running of wires.