SN95 doin it anyway! Mustang ii suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go a little easy on him this isnt Corral . Thats what makes this sight nice . It is not Corral . Speaking of price Im sayin your going to have thousands into a car worth $700.00 bucks. Who does the welding on your baby . The trick to your car is not to spend thousands , do it yourself young man. Lets see what you can do . Hopefully this is not a post when the guy gets everybody worked up and you never hear from them again .

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Never really frequented Corral much even though I think I'm a member there. There was no II section there so I gravitated here. And I hope this project doesn't disappear, I'd like to see what gets done with it! :D

Never really frequented Corral much even though I think I'm a member there. There was no II section there so I gravitated here. And I hope this project doesn't disappear, I'd like to see what gets done with it! :D
Corral has some guys that are really full of hate. Plus on a side note they changed the format. So conversations dont flow freely.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll give you an example to go along with my last post. My uncle has successfully built a number of cars. My cousin has a 56 Chevy that he wanted to build as a gasser. My uncle was able to locate a straight axle and welded all of the bracketry and such and got the car built. They took it to the local track, made a few passes before my uncle took a turn. One of his welds broke, but luckily he was able to keep the car under control and safely got it stopped. Can you imagine how badly that could've gone? All it takes is one thing to not be right and disaster could strike. Cars are repairable, but lives are not. So I truly hope that everything is copacetic with your build when you actually put power to the pavement.

(This is my cousin's car....)

A06pKdMtnjg5MOY750KQmAPFP3A&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg
The stress towards safety is greatly appreciated I absolutely do plan to have the
Nessisary precautions taken to make aure no lives are at stake

Reactions: 1 user
I think this is where some people are offering the advice of abandoning ship. Ultimately the price of not getting it right could cost you your life and possibly someone else's too. I don't think ANYONE wants that!
Right please i agree completely but im not fabbing anything. Im welding in upper shock mounts everything else is completed all the figuring and the welds there are strong and the metal chosen is also very strong

Go a little easy on him this isnt Corral . Thats what makes this sight nice . It is not Corral . Speaking of price Im sayin your going to have thousands into a car worth $700.00 bucks. Who does the welding on your baby . The trick to your car is not to spend thousands , do it yourself young man. Lets see what you can do . Hopefully this is not a post when the guy gets everybody worked up and you never hear from them again .
Oh yeah no my father had no time when we brought it home and the shop he had taken it too wants 7grand i am in no place at all to spend anything like that. I have done all the work on my foxbody from rebuilding and replacing the rear end swaping and building a little 5.0 that could all in my drive way completed just in time to get yelled at by some neighbors hah. Thankfully this ones in the garage, i have to pick up a better welder before making my shock mounts.... ive welded up some stuff before but plan to spend time and invest in some metal to prefect my welds. Thankfully my uncle is an iron worker and i have a very very good welder for tips and advise to make sure my and everybody that rides in the car wont have to worry about them. He personally know the guy who has welded everything so far seen it in person and has said himself they are good welds for anyone still worried about the welds already made. And for the few welds to come with pics and more i will ensure these are strong and safe

Quoted for emphasis. Corral is full of smart guys that like to tell you how you are doing it wrong, but stop short at telling you how to do it right.

Let’s not let that trickle here.
Even with the few who think im just another hacker finishing hacked work, the support for this thread and the others ive had are like nothing else the stangnet community is truly a safe space to learn grow and to bounce ideas around even if they fall outside the dotted lines. Again and again ill keep saying it you guys are awesome i am very greatful for everything everyones sharing!

In the mean time i have a question while i know the similarities between fox and sn95 platforms i could never get a beat up fox and just snatch some parts n leave it to rot, buuutt my passion for the new edges arent exactly the same and i would just spring for a $500-$800 sn95 but in my entire state there really isnt any. I have found a few new edge cars (99-04) that i could pick up for some misc parts. Could i get stuff like rear end, gas tank, little misc hoses and such maybe fuel lines and brake line from it ?

If there was a bolt in or weld in mustang ii front suspension kit I think a bunch of people would do it. Especially, when they're faced with rotted out strut towers and frame sections.

• Agree
If there was a bolt in or weld in mustang ii front suspension kit I think a bunch of people would do it. Especially, when they're faced with rotted out strut towers and frame sections.
I think so too! Really would be a great solution to saving so many fox platforms! Maybe i can inspire someone with the means to do such a thing guess im gunna have to draw some attention to the completed project, button her up real nice........

In the mean time i have a question while i know the similarities between fox and sn95 platforms i could never get a beat up fox and just snatch some parts n leave it to rot, buuutt my passion for the new edges arent exactly the same and i would just spring for a $500-$800 sn95 but in my entire state there really isnt any. I have found a few new edge cars (99-04) that i could pick up for some misc parts. Could i get stuff like rear end, gas tank, little misc hoses and such maybe fuel lines and brake line from it ?

A lot of stuff changed by then. Brake lines all route differently. Fuel system and tank agent returnless.

Some stuff is the same, but closer to 2004 these cars were changing with the times and technology

It has sentimental value. I understand that for sure!

Shortened version of a long story is that my dad and I started a build of a '75 Ford Maverick in the 1990's. I still actually have it. Dad always wanted that car to be somewhat "fast", and a 351w doesn't fit in a maverick front end without a LOT of work (and invented words). It was to be a race car from the get go, so I did a mustang II IFS in it as well. Dad wasn't much help. He got diabetes, or had it a while before and didn't know it-and lost most of his eyesight. So I finished it up (well as "finished" as a race car can be....). Runs 5.80's and a few 70's in the 1/8, makes dad happy, and quite frankly I don't need to go no faster in that car.

Mustang II IFS if it's installed properly works fine. Dangerous, only if installed IMproperly and/or poor workmanship or both. It's really hard to screw up a M2 IFS install, looks (based on the pics) that it was installed ok but I'd certainly go over it well. Mount the engine via motor plates; it takes a lot of load off of the M2 crossmember and adds some stiffness to the front frame rails. If the car is to have a cage (and it's suggested if you're going to go fast with it), a set of support bars out to the front frame rails would be considered mandatory, and not much extra work. Lastly is headers. Those will be a pain, probably custom. They're not too hard to make. It may be feasible to try a set of fox body swap headers, they might fit ok. Mine's a Maverick and custom engine location, nothing fits, so I made a set, actually it was a Stahl pro-gas A-arm "kit", which is already bent, all I had to do was trim and weld. Problem is, they will drag on anything taller than about 4", and occasionally coming off of a wheel stand.

Dangerous? Y'all never drove any of the old straight axle gassers. Y'all never drove an AA fuel altered either. Any altered for that matter. I have. You gotta be some kind of special to drive those money pits. Small time hobby bracket racer and nothing more now; and dad still loves watching, well mostly listening. So yes I understand the deal.

Go with it. It's your car, do as you wish. If you think your daddy would be proud of you getting it going, by all means do it. Value? Who cares. It's yours. Just like mine. I bet over the last however many decades, I probably have a hundred grand or better in mine, but it doesnt matter-I still dig it out sometimes, round up dad if he's feeling up to it, and head to the track, make a few passes, go home. Even win a few every now & then, but that's just icing on the cake.

Reactions: 4 users
It has sentimental value. I understand that for sure!

Shortened version of a long story is that my dad and I started a build of a '75 Ford Maverick in the 1990's. I still actually have it. Dad always wanted that car to be somewhat "fast", and a 351w doesn't fit in a maverick front end without a LOT of work (and invented words). It was to be a race car from the get go, so I did a mustang II IFS in it as well. Dad wasn't much help. He got diabetes, or had it a while before and didn't know it-and lost most of his eyesight. So I finished it up (well as "finished" as a race car can be....). Runs 5.80's and a few 70's in the 1/8, makes dad happy, and quite frankly I don't need to go no faster in that car.

Mustang II IFS if it's installed properly works fine. Dangerous, only if installed IMproperly and/or poor workmanship or both. It's really hard to screw up a M2 IFS install, looks (based on the pics) that it was installed ok but I'd certainly go over it well. Mount the engine via motor plates; it takes a lot of load off of the M2 crossmember and adds some stiffness to the front frame rails. If the car is to have a cage (and it's suggested if you're going to go fast with it), a set of support bars out to the front frame rails would be considered mandatory, and not much extra work. Lastly is headers. Those will be a pain, probably custom. They're not too hard to make. It may be feasible to try a set of fox body swap headers, they might fit ok. Mine's a Maverick and custom engine location, nothing fits, so I made a set, actually it was a Stahl pro-gas A-arm "kit", which is already bent, all I had to do was trim and weld. Problem is, they will drag on anything taller than about 4", and occasionally coming off of a wheel stand.

Dangerous? Y'all never drove any of the old straight axle gassers. Y'all never drove an AA fuel altered either. Any altered for that matter. I have. You gotta be some kind of special to drive those money pits. Small time hobby bracket racer and nothing more now; and dad still loves watching, well mostly listening. So yes I understand the deal.

Go with it. It's your car, do as you wish. If you think your daddy would be proud of you getting it going, by all means do it. Value? Who cares. It's yours. Just like mine. I bet over the last however many decades, I probably have a hundred grand or better in mine, but it doesnt matter-I still dig it out sometimes, round up dad if he's feeling up to it, and head to the track, make a few passes, go home. Even win a few every now & then, but that's just icing on the cake.
What a great story and a sweet build! I have lots of confidence in tims work and i do plan for a cage i even want a cage in my daily driver fox, i am a huge fan of the low bars. Once i get this car done i plan to build it as similar to my dads new 94 he bought to just bolt in all his built drivetrain and drive, when he did that thats how i got this we plan to race them down the strip very alike builds more whos the better driver we have the same car kinda deal. Im extremely excited to get this project going again. I could be underestimating but i dont think this will become a money pit but hey time will tell and truthfully if it did oh well. I plan to start up a mustang based restoration shop omce i move south a have a few buddies that are stoked and wanna be apart of it so the more and more i can do and learn through trials and errors will only help with what i wanna do for a hobby and for a career:)

• Hell Yeah!
Status
Not open for further replies.