Draining t5 by tail end

SmokeytheFox

5 Year Member
Jul 19, 2018
Cleveland,Ohio
Hey I’m in the process of dropping my t5 to change the rear main seal however the fluid drain plug is stuck stuck. Is it possible to drain all the fluid out just by taking the driveshaft out and tilting the trans ? I know it’ll make a HUGE mess but I’ve been dealing with that drain plug for hours now

• Sponsors (?)

You're removing the transmission right? Why do you need to drain it? If you do drain it you have to put more fluid in it. You're going to have to get that drain plug out at some point regardless.

To answer your question though. Yes, if you tilt the transmission like you are saying the fluid will eventually drain out.

While you have it out you might consider changing the tailshaft busing and seal. Changing the bushing can be a pain though.

Hey I’m in the process of dropping my t5 to change the rear main seal however the fluid drain plug is stuck stuck. Is it possible to drain all the fluid out just by taking the driveshaft out and tilting the trans ? I know it’ll make a HUGE mess but I’ve been dealing with that drain plug for hours now
Yeah if you slide the driveshaft out of the yoke it'll flowing out unless the car is jacked up from the rear.. then you'll probably get nothing coming out.

Last edited:
Taking my T-5 out was going great until the yoke slipped out...tranny fluid everywhere!
That sucks man that is some nasty smelling stuff... and it happened to me years ago and really got me good so ever since i've mastered the art of pulling T5's and 3550's on my back without a drop of spillage :)

Reactions: 1 users
Usually the driveway looks like a triple automotive homicide after the cheap yoke plug falls out while lifting engine trans out with the hoist

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
YES....
I drained my T-5 all over my garage floor (The Mess it causes) by taking the engine out and the trans attached. Some moron never bothered to plug the tail shaft of it. So Yes it is 100% possible to drain it this way.

If need be you can fill it from the top with shifter removed.

:D:nice:Been there, Done That

20200212_180305.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user