Drove: 2010 Convert and at 2011 5.0 Fastback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyJ

Sep 21, 2010
Ok I have been on the fence about getting a 2010 4.6 Convert at a great deal over the 5.0, so I did a little back to back comparison. Unfortunatley they did not have a 5.0 manual converible in stock, so I had to do it with the fastback, manual.

After driving the 4.6 first, It has a nice power band in second at 40mph, great for some curves and such. Standing line burn out was nice, dropped the clutch around 4K. Chirped in 2nd. Was more than willing to do donuts in the parking lot all day even with the 19" wheels. I was impressed with how great the stock breaks were! Nice. I cam back to the dealer thinking this car was perfect and didnt need any more power.

Then I drove the new 5.0!
Shouldnt have done that. I was hoping (so I wouldnt be inclined to spend the extra $s that the HP would only be noticable on the top end of the RPM Scale) Not so. The power is noticable thru every rpm, from 2k on. Drop the clutch at 3K and tires are gone! (The 4.6 needed more encouragement) Gears are not as long thanks to the 6 speeds vs 5 and the 3.55 gear in the 2011 compared to the 3.36? in the 2010 convert. Making a right hand turn, doing about 20 mph, just drop the clutch in 2nd and the tires are a smokin! And the car is moving. Great traction, for both cars. One thing I was surprised at was there was not any noticible wheel hop!! They both launched nice. As for the standing start, the 5.0 lit the tires all the way thru first, all the way thru 2nd and a nice chirp in 3rd. I was not redlining, but going to about 6k. The car hooked nice, what a great burn out! The smoky donut burnout was simple a it could be!
Testing the brakes, the brembos on the 2011 are flat out amazing!
What a fun afternoon. Good thing the salesman wasnt with!

Bottom line, The 5.0 has sooo much more power, everywhere and is easily on tap when ever you need it! Ill be saving my money for the 2011 5.0 Convertible!

If your thinking of getting a great deal on the 2010, DONT drive the 5.0!

(Next test drive Im bringing the video recorder!)

• Sponsors (?)

Ease up gents. How much different is he putting a new car through its paces during a test drive and one of you beating on your car for the next few years, then asking top dollar for it from the next guy...all while insisting how it's never been beat on, or in how "mint" condition it is.

The guy was just giving his driving impressions of the two cars....don't read so far into it.

I would imaging these car can take pretty much what anyone could dish out with in reason. Now if he was to take it to the track and run it 15 times in a row on 100 degree day. Or track it for a weekend. Even still I doubt the car would miss a beat.

Ford & pretty much every manufacturer torture tests their engines. The 5.0's have really been put through it's paces. These things can take more punishment than we think. If it couldn't handle a little flogging during a test drive, you wouldn't want it. We all beat on our cars to some degree. It's what they were built for. I don't see any harm in it. I break in all my cars exactly how I'm gonna be driving it. Even in the owners manual it states there is no need for a break in period. All it says is to vary your speeds for the first thousand miles.

TonyJ, just get the 2011 & you won't regret it.

When I went for a test drive, the salesman told me to just drive it as hard as I wanted. I didn't do smokey burn outs, but I did accelerate aggressively enough to leave some rubber on my 1 - 2 shift and I hit on ramps at double their posted speed. Then I bought a different car from the same dealership. Only reason I didn't buy that car is NO ELECTRONICS PACKAGE. By the way my 70 year old salesman was with me, he seemed to be enjoying it.

When I went for a test drive, the salesman told me to just drive it as hard as I wanted. I didn't do smokey burn outs, but I did accelerate aggressively enough to leave some rubber on my 1 - 2 shift and I hit on ramps at double their posted speed. Then I bought a different car from the same dealership. Only reason I didn't buy that car is NO ELECTRONICS PACKAGE. By the way my 70 year old salesman was with me, he seemed to be enjoying it.

Get your story straight,on your first post you SAID good thing the salesman wasn"t with me NOW you say he was with you but he was 70 years old,next your going to tell us he was deaf,dumb and blind,what a way to not test drive a car.

Get your story straight,on your first post you SAID good thing the salesman wasn"t with me NOW you say he was with you but he was 70 years old,next your going to tell us he was deaf,dumb and blind,what a way to not test drive a car.

You're so busy trying to be a smart ass that you didn't even realize this wasn't the original poster.

Now who's deaf, dumb and blind. ;)

yes after having a convertable i dont think id ever get coupe, its just way too nice on a sunny day to cruise around with the top down listening to the cars exhaust, and soaking up the sun. Wish i wasn't poor and going to school so i could get a 2011.

Also back off on the guy he said he only got it up to 6k rpm, not close to the redline so i sure hope to god that doesn't hurt the car. If it does why the hell would anyone want to buy it, i wouldnt get a car with that much hp if i couldnt beat the crap out of it. Id just get a nice v6 and be done with it. My car has over 100k miles and it still runs great, i do feel bad sometimes when i beat the crap out of the old girl but shes still running great.

Man... not to hijack the thread... but this is exactly the decision I'm working through right now.

I have the opportunity to get a 2010 GT vert premium fully optioned except for NAV for around $30k.

I know the new engine is all that but... man oh man... the GT vert has been the dream for long before the 5.0 came back.

Ugh.

Man... not to hijack the thread... but this is exactly the decision I'm working through right now.

I have the opportunity to get a 2010 GT vert premium fully optioned except for NAV for around $30k.

I know the new engine is all that but... man oh man... the GT vert has been the dream for long before the 5.0 came back.

Ugh.

Drive them both and then decide if the added hp of the 5.0 is worth the extra cash. Other than than I don't think a simular equiped 2010 is any different than a 2011.

Way to go OP! You successfully abused two cars you have no intention of buying. :notnice: Tool.

People like you are the reason why I never buy a car off the lot unless the odometer says 2 - 3 miles from the truck to the lot & PDI.

Status
Not open for further replies.