DSS Main Support - worth the dough or Waste of money?

• Sponsors (?)

I have no reason to doubt you, Tom.

DSS Main Support & ARP main studs = $331 +shipping
ARP main studs + Windage tray = $260 +shipping (roughly)

Seeing as I still have a new flywheel, clutch, electric water pump, oil pump, k-member, LT headers, head studs, and all the gaskets to purchase before I can have the new longblock assembled & installed, I think I'll stick with the studs and tray for $260.

I was thinking it was unlikely that the 03-04 Cobra guys pushing 700 HP werent' opening up their bottom-end just to bolt one of these on...

I don't think you have to worry much about the block cracking like the old 5.0's BUT the main support may help reduce the chances of shifting a main cap, if your going to be making 700+hp any extra support to the main caps won't hurt. Cap walk is not as much of a problem in these motors as in the older 5.0's but it can still happen at that power level.

I have no reason to doubt you, Tom.

DSS Main Support & ARP main studs = $331 +shipping
ARP main studs + Windage tray = $260 +shipping (roughly)

Seeing as I still have a new flywheel, clutch, electric water pump, oil pump, k-member, LT headers, head studs, and all the gaskets to purchase before I can have the new longblock assembled & installed, I think I'll stick with the studs and tray for $260.

I was thinking it was unlikely that the 03-04 Cobra guys pushing 700 HP werent' opening up their bottom-end just to bolt one of these on...

You didn't mention it here on your list but would you have to run a different oil pan if you use the support? I don't know on modular motor but on the old 5.0's the stock oil pan usually wouldn't fit over most supports.

You didn't mention it here on your list but would you have to run a different oil pan if you use the support? I don't know on modular motor but on the old 5.0's the stock oil pan usually wouldn't fit over most supports.

Ya know, Chuck... I have no idea. :) I want to carry over the oil pan that is in the car now to the new motor. It sounds like I won't be needing the main support, so no worries.