DSS or CHP?

So i'm sure most of you saw my other post "My Low Budget Engine Combo" (http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=657329) After talking to a good buddy of mine, we decided on the 331 (seeing as he and his dad are doing the machining and building the guts of the motor) my newest Question is... for the Pistons, Rods, and Crank (along with supporting hardware) i know of DSS and CHP, that sell the kits... I've heard a lot of good things about DSS, in fact, i've never heard anything negative... I don't know much about CHP, except what their adds in the Mustang magazines say. are there any other out there? what do you recomend? I lean towards DSS, because of friends who've had good luck with them, but i'm opn to suggestions from anyone...

• Sponsors (?)

I like CHP :)

You can go over to hardcore and read tons & tons of Mark's posts.

He is the owner of CHP btw.

I've read a lot of stuff from him ... IMHO, he is the real deal ;)
and
if I ever went to a purpose built stroker short block ........

I'd have his place do the deed for my 347 or Windsor :nice:

Grady

final5-0 said:
I like CHP :)

You can go over to hardcore and read tons & tons of Mark's posts.

He is the owner of CHP btw.

I've read a lot of stuff from him ... IMHO, he is the real deal ;)
and
if I ever went to a purpose built stroker short block ........

I'd have his place do the deed for my 347 or Windsor :nice:

Grady

Hardcore? whats the website, i don't believe i've ever heard of it, or atleast not straight up, maybe through the grapevine... thanks for the advice, if you can get me the actual website, i might find him and PM him and talk to him. what is Mark's screen name? or is it "Mark"?

the site is hardcore50.com (its not 50's **** either). Every post I have seen from Mark has been 100% straight up. I think that both are quality kits/shortblocks.

I was between DSS and CHP myself for the shortblock I got. It came down to shipping costs after calling both several times. Both gave me great input.

blksn955.o said:
the site is hardcore50.com (its not 50's **** either). Every post I have seen from Mark has been 100% straight up. I think that both are quality kits/shortblocks.

I was between DSS and CHP myself for the shortblock I got. It came down to shipping costs after calling both several times. Both gave me great input.

Cool, thanks... i'll check it out, maybe get some imput from him. do you know his SN?

VibrantRedGT said:
CHP 347 stroker, I got one and love it. I've done nothing but beat the hell out of it since its been in the car.

I'm going 331, and i've got a block, i just need the Pistons, Rods, and Crank... thats what i'm looking for as of right now, if the money is here, i might buy the Shortblock, but that all depends...

Cost isn't the problem.

Extra block clearancing cost more, and that is more frequent to the 5.4" stroke.

A 347 has compromised piston design with less material.

331 and 347 put out very similar numbers.

331 is different than the 'usual'.

Less steeper rod ratio over a 347.

It all adds up...

Grn92LX said:
The CHP kit or the $999 scat kit will do you beyond fine. Why aren't you building a 347? Cost is the same.

Mike is correct. Why did you go with a 331? You shorted yourself an extra 16 cubes when it doesn't cost any different.

Cost isn't the problem.

Extra block clearancing cost more, and that is more frequent to the 5.4" stroke.

A 347 has compromised piston design with less material.

331 and 347 put out very similar numbers.

331 is different than the 'usual'.

Less steeper rod ratio over a 347.

It all adds up...

You are correct sir... the clearancing of the block, and also, the Heads and pistons don't always fit together like they should, not to mention the Way the rod is angeled, the 347 is more prone to not lasting very long. besides a 331 is good enough for a lightning, why not my car? everyone's got 347's they're so common, i'll be different... and Stang8urlilss, You're the first person who hasn't like DSS... but when i make the phone calls and what not, it'll also depend on the staff's knowledge, and their customer service. that will play a HUGE part in my decision.

93GTWannabe said:
You are correct sir... the clearancing of the block, and also, the Heads and pistons don't always fit together like they should, not to mention the Way the rod is angeled, the 347 is more prone to not lasting very long.

Its a good theory but total BS. I've read the internet 347 myths on here for 7 years now. And still going........:eek:

93GTWannabe said:
You are correct sir... the clearancing of the block, and also, the Heads and pistons don't always fit together like they should, not to mention the Way the rod is angeled, the 347 is more prone to not lasting very long. besides a 331 is good enough for a lightning, why not my car? everyone's got 347's they're so common, i'll be different... and Stang8urlilss, You're the first person who hasn't like DSS... but when i make the phone calls and what not, it'll also depend on the staff's knowledge, and their customer service. that will play a HUGE part in my decision.

Umm..no a lighting has a 330 5.4l dohc modular engine...not a stroked 331 pushrod :rolleyes: , so basically they have absolutly nothing to do with each other. On another not, stop arguing over the 331/247 everyone, you could argue about it all day and the fact is it is PREFERENCE...there is no right or wrong answer or everyone would have the same thing. :nice:

before i bought my motor i called everyone. the only one i was satisfied with at the end of my calls was chp. dss never even bothered to send me the quote i asked for. i ended up getting a nearly complete engine from chp like vib did, and i was perfectly satisfied with the entire experience. i would recommend chp to anyone looking for anything from a rotating assembly to a crate motor. as far as the cubes go, i went with the 331 because of the fact that i was going with a blower at 14psi and the better rod ratio etc. made me feel a bit more comfortable being that i used a stock block which is basically a time bomb at 500+ hp. i figured the less strain on the block the better. however, if i was going n/a there wouldnt even be a second thought about going 347. your tune and other factors will play a much bigger role in longevity and reliability of the motor than the rod ratio and sidewall loading. dont let internet myth scare you away from making the decision for more cubes. aside from that, the price difference between a 331 and a 347 is negligible making it pretty much a no brainer as far as im concerned.

Lyncher - I agree with everything you have said, except the engine size we are talking about have very little to do with the upper half of the engine (DOHC and valvetrain setup)...we are talking about the cubic inch/stroke...not heads/cam(s)/intake, etc.

A 347 does have a steeper ratio. Anyone in a physics or mechanical engineer can tell you this, that more wear will occur.

If it is a track car or a non-daily driver...go 347.

I do not agree on how the 347 myth is still going on. It isn't a myth. It is exxagerated but it isn't a myth.

Why not a 347 in a daily driver?

What I'm asking is........what if you put in a 347 and then drive it normally for 100K miles without beating on it really hard? I'm talking only a rare visit to a track or road course and where 99% of the time the car is used for weekends, trips, and other typical street car stuff. Maybe even a little traffic now and then. Why wouldn't a 347 live to see 100K miles comfortably, provided the car is serviced normally?

No offense to anyone on this question, but what if a street prepped (dare I say emissions legal) 347 were only used on the street. For arguments sake, the 347 in question would have a mildish cam, AFR 185 (or similar) heads, and an Edel RPM II intake (or similar). Nothing ultra fancy, just good replacement parts that work acceptably with a 347.

Car Nut said:
Why not a 347 in a daily driver?

What I'm asking is........what if you put in a 347 and then drive it normally for 100K miles without beating on it really hard? I'm talking only a rare visit to a track or road course and where 99% of the time the car is used for weekends, trips, and other typical street car stuff. Maybe even a little traffic now and then. Why wouldn't a 347 live to see 100K miles comfortably, provided the car is serviced normally?

For the fact that, if you put in a 347...your not likely to "not beat on it"...and a rare visit isn't likely.

Car Nut said:
No offense to anyone on this question, but what if a street prepped (dare I say emissions legal) 347 were only used on the street. For arguments sake, the 347 in question would have a mildish cam, AFR 185 (or similar) heads, and an Edel RPM II intake (or similar). Nothing ultra fancy, just good replacement parts that work acceptably with a 347.

It would work great...that would be very similar to a combo I would have if I had one built. Emission's legal is possible.

I prefer the 331, it's not something EVERYONE has like a 347... I'd like to eventually go with a Kenne Bell, drive the motor around till it bites the dust, then build a 408. by then, hopefully the kid will be grown up enough, and the money will be there. i've got a stock block that will be getting worked over, i just need the hardware, HOWEVER... if the price is right, i would have either CHP, or DSS build me a shortblock... i'd feel somewhat more comfortable with something other than a stock block, but i've got 8 months, and will be doing LOTS of research.