Where to get a good shortblock?

ras50gt

Oct 25, 2005
Still have to decide if I'm going 331 or the 351w swap route. Have been looking at possible places to get a shortblock. I just want to see who you guys recommend from experience or if you wish you hadn't bought from a certain builder. Here are a few of the places. In no particular order:

1. CHP: have read several good reviews. A reliable source on Corral.net said the main builder has been going through some health issues.

2. ADperformance: again several good reviews. Saw a few negative reviews regarding communication/customer service. One issue regarding machine work, another regarding reeze plugs.

3. DDS: seems like most people went with CHP over DDS.

4. Fordstrokers. Would 100% be my first choice unfortunately they only offer Dart builds. If I decide to go Dart, they will be my pick

5. Creb Engineering: Sells on ebay. Read many good reviews. Some of their stock block ratings are questionable. I received an email from them that a 393w would cost more than a 408. Most of the time that shouldn't be the case... Right?

6. Any other suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Fordstrokers does stock blocks last time I checked. DSS is a hard negative. CHP has had some questionable results in the past. Never heard of the others.

Kurt

I actually have my engines built by a machine shop in Florida that specializes in offshore powerboat racing. The guy that runs the outfit might not be able to answer my emails directly for up to a month, because he is in Finland for 30 days tuning two 2600hp boat engines to run well together. And he is pretty short on small talk when you are on the phone, which makes it tough for most customers. But damn they do good work. I was blown away the first time I walked into his machine room; it was as clean as a dentistry. He taught me the value of cleanliness. When an engine part comes off the machine, you suck up every last particle of metal to ensure it doesn't contaminate another engine. Express Engines built my last 4 engines, and I think it was worth the hassle and the wait.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if ADperformance is still in business. Their contact us got bounced back as undeliverable. I think someone may have mentioned they moved recently, maybe changed names. Guess I'm back to looking at CHP, ebay or spend big $ on a dart.

Who was the dedicated Stangnet Engine builder we had way back in the day? This forum paid his mortgage. He was super cool. Even called me one evening to help me through emissions. He got sick or something and left a few people hanging on their engines. I think his name was Rick. There was a time when a solid portion of the members here had one of his engines.

Kurt

Who was the dedicated Stangnet Engine builder we had way back in the day? This forum paid his mortgage. He was super cool. Even called me one evening to help me through emissions. He got sick or something and left a few people hanging on their engines. I think his name was Rick. There was a time when a solid portion of the members here had one of his engines.

Kurt
That was him. The good Captain @FastDriver can speak to that. He was one of the customers that had to bail on the guy when he couldn’t fulfill the order.

Kurt
Rick RNH i had spoke to him on the phone about building me an engine as well

Reactions: 1 users
Woody stopped doing stock blocks a few years ago. Almost every one had a crack in it. He is the guy to go to though if you want a Dart short block. Be prepared to wait a few months as he is a small shop and hand builds them.

• CHP - Mark sold the business a few years ago and his main engine builder has not been there for a few months and QC control went down.
  • DHS- way too many horror stories over the years
  • Blueprint- believe it or not they do build a decent motor with a warranty. Not the top shelf in parts
  • Ford- they sell decent short blocks with a warranty
  • Summit- they sell a decent bare stroker block that is already sonic checked, machined, freeze plugs and cam bearings

Your best bet on a stock short block rebuild is to find a good, local builder that you can go into their shop and speak face to face. No that any stock based stroker motor is a roll of the dice as far as longevity once you start getting over 400hp. YMMV

Reactions: 1 users
Woody stopped doing stock blocks a few years ago. Almost every one had a crack in it. He is the guy to go to though if you want a Dart short block. Be prepared to wait a few months as he is a small shop and hand builds them.

• CHP - Mark sold the business a few years ago and his main engine builder has not been there for a few months and QC control went down.
  • DHS- way too many horror stories over the years
  • Blueprint- believe it or not they do build a decent motor with a warranty. Not the top shelf in parts
  • Ford- they sell decent short blocks with a warranty
  • Summit- they sell a decent bare stroker block that is already sonic checked, machined, freeze plugs and cam bearings

Your best bet on a stock short block rebuild is to find a good, local builder that you can go into their shop and speak face to face. No that any stock based stroker motor is a roll of the dice as far as longevity once you start getting over 400hp. YMMV

Thanks for the great info! Fordstrokers seems to have the best feedback for dart blocks. Just think a stock block will work for what I want. I will have to start researching any local builders.

I got a Marshall engine (long block) before they advertised as Blueprint engines. They knurled the valve guides and it smoked a lot. The oil pump shaft broke on the first highway run. I do not plan on buying local from them if I ever need a long or short block again.

Funny thing is your comment is more "ground hog day" than what I asked. Plus, I got helpful responses on top of that. If it bothers you that much, why not stay off the forums??
Whaaaa?
If I'm not here to check you, who's to stop you from asking the same fckin question over, and over, and over........

Reactions: 1 user