Dual exhaust to single.

vmurh

May 26, 2004
My son is buying a 94 GT and i am taking over his 97 V6 for a daily driver. The problem is that he had the Y pipe cut and duals added with glass paks a few years ago.

I am going to have single exhaust put back on the get rid of the Bumble Bee sound the V6's make with duals.

However, has anyone put two standard mufflers on a V6? What does it sound like?

I think this would be cheaper since all the pipe is there versus having the Y pipe repaired and buying a new tail pipe.

Just a thought.

• Sponsors (?)

Regular mufflers would sound ok, but since he's already got the y-pipe taken off, I would go with a MAC catback, and give it a nice deep tone. Seriously though, putting glasspacks on anything is a bad mistake. They sound like complete crap, especially with a V6.

Anything you do will be better than keeping those!

Well, heres where I display my ignorance, but what the hell.. I know what glasspacks are; my friend had them on his '73 LTD, that had a 400 cubic inch V8. I didn't think you could use them on newer cars, only on older ones. So they sound terrible on a V6? And they probably ruin emissions....??

Glasspacks or any other muffler/resonator for that matter wouldn't have an effect on emissions, only the catalytic converters do (assuming they're still there on the midpipe). Try having Flowmaster mufflers welded on in place of the glasspacks, everyone I have seen post about them on a V6 likes the sound

Glasspacks are a horrible idea for a V6.

You could easily go to an exhaust shop and have them replace the glasspacks with a generic turbo muffler(should be like $30 each). That will tone the car down without you having to spend $$$ on an entire new system.

Had the single muffler put back on today and what a nice difference. Had the 97 since it was new and is well maintained. My son put the duals on 3 years ago and now it is my car. This past weekend driving around with the duals it was a struggle in 5th gear at 1500 rpm. Now, with the single muffler, no problem down to almost 1000 rpm. The guy that wrote in Mustang Enthusiast Magazine a few months is correct. Too much exhaust takes away torque from the V6.

So, you kids out there listen to an old man. Put on a single muffler with two exit pipes. You will be happier.