Dumb rear disc brake question from a Classic guy building a Cobra

chepsk8

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2001
Easton, PA
I feel like a dummy.... :rlaugh:

Building a Factory Five Cobra roadster :nice: , using SN-95 rear (non-Cobra) disc brakes.

I'm almost done plumbing the system, will be time to add fluid & bleed. Here's my questions:

1. Will the rear calipers self adjust by simple pressure (pedal pumping), or is it a ratchet method using the emergency brake? I do have to buy the special tool to screw the calipers back in to replace the rear pads.
2. The pads have Bumps on the back that would seem to align with the notches in the calipers. Will tghey self align, or is there something I need to do before applying pressure?

Many thanks for your help! :banana:

Dan

• Sponsors (?)

chepsk8 said:
I feel like a dummy.... :rlaugh:

Building a Factory Five Cobra roadster :nice: , using SN-95 rear (non-Cobra) disc brakes.

I'm almost done plumbing the system, will be time to add fluid & bleed. Here's my questions:

1. Will the rear calipers self adjust by simple pressure (pedal pumping), or is it a ratchet method using the emergency brake? I do have to buy the special tool to screw the calipers back in to replace the rear pads.
2. The pads have Bumps on the back that would seem to align with the notches in the calipers. Will tghey self align, or is there something I need to do before applying pressure?

Many thanks for your help! :banana:

Dan
self adjust.
self align

As far as the special tool for screwing in the rear piston back into the caliper, I could not find one. I tried that little brake cube thing they sell at Autozone and it didn't work. So I used a needle nose vise grip to push and twist it in. PITA but I have yet to find a better way.

Easton, pretty close.

There are clips that go on to the brake pads, that keep the pads in place; otherwise they'll be loose in the caliper. Also, make sure the rear piston notches are pointing up and down. This will allow them to slide over the pegs on the back of the brake pads.

When it comes to disc brakes, there far simpler than drums because they work on the very simple principle of brute force. You dont have to make adjustments to them like sizing them up to the drum, etc. After you get the pads on and pump the brake pedal be sure to check how much fluid you have in the master cylinder, top it off if need be. THe caliper pistons dont like to be pushed back into the caliper so they will stay up against the pad. Also, the piston has enough travel with one push of the pedal that it will press up firmly against the brake pad. Therefore a simple pedal push is all it takes to get everything lined up, tight, and chatter free. This sounds like your first experience with discs (truat my you will like them)...I think everyone would agree with me that they are way better than drums. Simple, more reliable, and better performance. There are really no downsides.