Duraspark 2 conversion wiring help

68xstang

Sep 29, 2010
I am doing a duraspark 2 swap in my 68 289. The parts are from a -84 5.0 GT.
I am very confused about the wiring of the red and white wires going into the ignition box. The -84 wiring diagram shows the white wire connected to cable 16 coming from the ignition switch, and the red wire connected to cable 32 going to the starter motor relay.
When looking at instructions which people have made on the web when doing this conversion, they show the total opposite.
Which one is correct?

• Sponsors (?)

to be honest i dont think it really matters. when i used a duraspark box for one of my electronic conversions, i just tied the red and white wires together and ran the same wire that powered my ignition coil, and never had an issue doing that.

Reactions: 1 user
The -84 wiring diagram shows the white wire connected to cable 16 coming from the ignition switch, and the red wire connected to cable 32 going to the starter motor relay.
When looking at instructions which people have made on the web when doing this conversion, they show the total opposite.
Which one is correct?

I don't have a DSII wiring diagram, but it sounds like those wires are involved with cranking ignition retard and their original function would ultimately be optional.

One nice thing about the HEI is not needing a ballast resistor. It's a PITA to mount the module cleanly though since it was never meant to be used outside of an HEI distributor.

there are some people that disguise the HEI module. they take a ford duraspark module, open it up and get rid of the electronics inside, and using an old computer processor heat sink theyh mount the module inside the duraspark housing, and run the wiring out though the same place the duraspark wiring runs through.