Duraspark II Carb Question ???

FrankenRat

Jan 4, 2013
I have been working on my brother's '66 Coupe with a 200 six. I talked him into doing a Duraspark II conversion on the car. I still think this was a good move as I believe the old "Load-O-Matic" dizzy was junk. So far, he has kept the Autolite 1100 carb but, I have read that once you swap the dizzy you need to swap the carb. The car will idle fine and accelerate fine but will not run smoothly at speed ... like cruising at 40mph. At a steady speed, the rpms go up and down every few seconds. If a carb swap is in order, what would be a good choice to go with the Duraspark II set-up?

• Sponsors (?)

yep, the old autolite with the spark control port does not work the same as a vacuum advance port. the other thing you can do is advance the timing more. you need to power time the engine as the marks on the balancer are suspect. just advance the timing until the engine pings, then back off a couple of degrees until it stops.

If you come up with a 68/69 1100 with the 1.10" venturi, it can be swapped for either the 1.20" venturi that the earlier 200 Autolite came with, or even the larger venturi that the 1101 had. Pony Carburetors used to do this, but they are still in limbo following John's passing.