Dyno numbers in... they blow as expected

TweekedGT

Jul 22, 2004
Alberta
Well had the car on the dyno on Thursday. Mustang Dyno. I went in expecting low numbers but not quite as low as i got. Here's the combo, you see where all the power is being lost.

Dart Block 408
TFS-R CNC Ported Heads
TFS Box R Intake
8.5:1 Compression
Small Custom Cam to keep car runnable with compression
C6 Tranny
4200 Stall convertor, really slips,
Here's the final numbers.

266rwhp
272rwtq

:(

Low compression, small cam, and C6 = :notnice: without forced induction.
I think it's time to suck it up and by the blower. Damn I didn't want to yet but the power that tranny and slipping torque convertro take is huge.

• Sponsors (?)

What the hell is a small cam to keep it runnable with compression mean????? Clearly there is a problem I don't how much is actually being lost in the drivetrain but its not 200 hp thats for sure. The compression isn't THAT low. a 9:1 fox with a bogus h/c/i will make 280 at least through a auto with a decent stall. Is this on a dynojet? Mustang dyno???

Yea and what the hell is a S trim?:rolleyes:

Mustang Dyno. I know the dyno i go to is stingy. I've used him for my 96 and he is one of the best tuners in the Country (Canada). But Damn!!!!! I was expecting around 320hp or so. I didn't bother taking the graphs I was so disappointed. They were flat across from about 3000rpm-5750. They made full power and torque and it never fell off even at 5750 where we shut down the dyno. He said the car has amazing throttle response, the best he's seen. It is crazy, you barely touch the throttle and it's bam! I guess I'm buying a YSI or an F1,2 or3.

By the way an S trim is a Vortech Supercharger. I know some of you were joking but.......

god damn, something ain't right... how is your dart blocked 408W making less torque than a stock 302 is rated at? with 106 more cubes??? how about a cam change and a 101mm turbo or procharger, that should put you where you need to be

1st may i ask why a C6 when it looks like with your set-up a C4 would be more then enough? I only ask because i run with some chevy guys that run 400 tranny's only because they say the 400 is bigger and beefier but they forget about the extra weight and the 3rd gear ratio. If they would just run the TH350 they would pick up afew 10's do to the 3rd gear ratio.

wow i did not expect numbers that low AT ALL. is the compression good and have you dont a leakdown? i know everything is waiting for the forced induction right now, but gosh those are low. are you goin with a turbo or blower?

Mustang Dyno. I know the dyno i go to is stingy. I've used him for my 96 and he is one of the best tuners in the Country (Canada). But Damn!!!!! I was expecting around 320hp or so. I didn't bother taking the graphs I was so disappointed. They were flat across from about 3000rpm-5750. They made full power and torque and it never fell off even at 5750 where we shut down the dyno. He said the car has amazing throttle response, the best he's seen. It is crazy, you barely touch the throttle and it's bam! I guess I'm buying a YSI or an F1,2 or3.

By the way an S trim is a Vortech Supercharger. I know some of you were joking but.......

Well i'm serious. Whats an S trim?Or a YSI F1 2 3? Is that the size of the S/C like a 70 or 80 or 101mm turbo? peace

john:p

You're only running on 6 cylinders... Something is mechanically wrong with your setup or the tune is out of control.

I made 362 rwhp with an untuned (14:1 AFR), 8.5:1 CR, 331 with a mild turbo cam. Oh, and that was with only 331 cubic inches.

Chris

You have an excellent foundation, and you should be well over what you have, even with a small cam and low compression you should spank the numbers you made. And by small cam what do you mean, what cam are you running? And 4200 is a bit high unless it is a pure track car:shrug:

My Fathers 393 stroker with weaker heads and intake and a bit more compression made over 450 rwhp and equal torque on a Mustang Dyno. Even with an auto I would seriousely find out what is wrong before adding anything to it?

Unless you have a real good reason the c6 seams like a bad mistake. It doesn't matter if your pushing 1000hp at the flywheel, the only thing that does matter is being first at the end of the quarter. To do that you must transfer the hp to the ground. You spent big bucks on that block, get the right tranny.

Next, not sure why you put a small cam into it. The wrong parts are going to make crap for power, but I do believe I'd chase a few things down. Compression, torque to turn that motor over, ... I'd also have a talk with your custom cam guy. He should be able to tell you if that result was expected. If he can't you need a new cam guy.

You have all the parts to make power. If you want a supercharger, get that motor checked out, add a new cam and super charger. If you just want power, think about raising the compression via head or block work, get a new cam, check everything else out, and off you go.

Good luck and don't get discouraged. Just go through that motor and make sure everything is ok.

You really will not get a good reading with a loose converter, no matter what dyno it is on. I'd suggest a F1R, YS or YSI, X trim.... I had a customer 408 car with a AOD, loose converter only make 320/320 on the Mustang dyno I use and it goes 10.50 @ 128mph all motor ;)

That C6 is robbing a lot of power as well, I bet in the 25-30% depending on the specifics of that trans.... I would expect a lot more from that combo even with the low compression, and with 15psi or so shoot for 700HP

You really will not get a good reading with a loose converter, no matter what dyno it is on. I'd suggest a F1R, YS or YSI, X trim.... I had a customer 408 car with a AOD, loose converter only make 320/320 on the Mustang dyno I use and it goes 10.50 @ 128mph all motor ;)

That C6 is robbing a lot of power as well, I bet in the 25-30% depending on the specifics of that trans.... I would expect a lot more from that combo even with the low compression, and with 15psi or so shoot for 700HP

That's exactly what my tuner said. He said it's a crap shoot what the convertor is robbing. Take it to the track and see what the track numbers are and not worry about the dyno. I'm going to the track this weekend so I'll post numbers. He said based on what the car is "putting down" it would be a mid 13 second car at our track, which it isn't. The car has run 12.4's with my crappy granny shifting out of a 5 speed. With the C6 and tranny brake I'm hoping to see 11's. If I have a 266rwhp car that runs 11's I'm ok with that :D. The reason behind the C6 was durability. I am hoping for this car to be a 7-8 second car, no joke. Right now it may seem like over kill but that's the way I want it. Build everything strong. I went in knowing I would lose a couple of tenths to a C4 and I'm ok with that. We're bracket racers at our track so It doesn't make much difference. Just bragging rights. The C4's i've seen don't survive well under 10 seconds. We'll see where it goess. It's my first time driving an auto with a tranny brake and a line lock. I'm used to good old fashioned foot power. I'll get some video, it should make for some laughs the first couple passes.