dyno results are in...

...and i'm a happy guy! 309 peak hp, 334 peak ft-lbs (sae numbers). see signature for mods. it was an inertia dyno (dynojet). i went to hi-tech, the same place as gtjake. after waiting two hours past my scheduled appt start time, the previous car was finally being taken off the dyno. i must say that their customer relations skills suck, and bart is a huge *******. brian (the tuner), however, blew my mind. i learned more about how to tune and use the tweecer in the 75 minutes i spent in the passenger seat than i could have expected to learn on my own in several years.

here's a couple graphs. the first is my final run, and the second is the first and final run overlayed:
dynofinalpull.jpg

dynocompared.jpg

here's a pic of the car on the dyno:
carondyno.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Nice numbers dude. What were your std #'s since thats what you really made. I'm guessing 315/340. When will you be going to the track? Did ed recommend a bigger TB for you?

actually, std numbers are NOT the "real numbers." std is simply a different correction factor for differenet "standard" weather conditions. my std numbers were 315.4 and 340.8. nice guess! lol

i might get to the track before the end of the summer, but i doubt it now. my "local" track isn't organized really well (event i was going to had to be cancelled due to staffing issues), and i don't know if there will be any more opportunities to test and tune before i have to fly back to school.

as far as getting a bigger throttle body, i didn't ask ed. either this winter or next spring/summer, i'll be switching over to the fox body t-body style and going w/a 70- or 75-mm t-body. don't know which yet.

Damn I guessed good, what did I win :D

Actually, std is more what you made on the dyno under the conditions you were in. Sae is the correction factor for a certain temp and such. T-moss explained this a while ago in a post. But anyway, the track is where it counts now that your all tuned and ready to go!

no, i don't mean to be rude, but std numbers are not what you made at that moment in those conditions. RAW NUMBERS are what you made at that moment in those conditions. brian showed me those numbers, too. they were about one less than the sae numbers if i remember right. STD is simply a different correction factor for different standard conditions.

and you won the grand prize, a thumbs up smiley: :nice:

Tmoss posted this in another thread-

"SAE and STD numbers are both REAL numbers. STD is the power the engine made on that day under those atmoshperic conditions. SAE has at least two "correction" factors..........."most of the standards that are presently used are defined by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). When something is corrected to those standards it is often said that this run was “SAE Corrected.” Now, one of the problems with this is that SAE has a few different standards which are frequently used in the industry. So, if I say that this is SAE corrected how do you know which one? One of the main differences between the various specs is what they consider to be a “normal environment.” After all, that is all that these formulae do. They correct the numbers coming out of the dyno for the environment. There are many factors that go into these calculations. Among them are temperature, humidity, pressure, and altitude. The J607 specification uses a temperature of 60 F as “normal” compared to J1349 (or J1985) which used 77 F. This means that if you use both systems with the same set of data you will get higher results for HP/TRQ with the J607. That means you cannot compare corrected data from the two different systems."

tmoss is incorrect in saying that STD is the power made on that day. that is what raw numbers are. as far as everything else he said, i don't know for sure that what he said is right or wrong, but i find it VERY hard to believe that SAE has two different standards for passenger vehicle chassis dyno power/torque numbers. i'll make a couple calls next week and see what i can learn.

Nice numbers Greg! Sorry I couldn't make it down. Car Craft was awesome, shoulda gone :). How long were you on the dyno for? I must say, I'll probably never go there again, it's was a good expireance, but it is friggin pricey. I might be re-dynoing soon, *might*, so I'll see if that way too big, oversized TB did anything. But more importantly I'll test it out at the track. I agree with you about the STD and SAE numbers. Brian was explaining it to me, just another correction factor. Were those numbers after a full cool down? That's what Brian did for me, let the car cool for like ten minutes and did one final pull. Has he gotten used to the tweecer a little? He's a brilliant guy when it come to tuning, but we had to kinda walk through the tweecer because he's never used it before I dyno'd there. Again congrats on the numbers, if you want to go the track, I'm heading down to Cedar Falls August 6th and 7th. It's probably a good 6 or 7 hour drive for you, but you could make it to Minneapolis the night before and then leave when we do around noon on Friday.

Jake

GTJake said:
Nice numbers Greg! Sorry I couldn't make it down. Car Craft was awesome, shoulda gone :). How long were you on the dyno for? I must say, I'll probably never go there again, it's was a good expireance, but it is friggin pricey. I might be re-dynoing soon, *might*, so I'll see if that way too big, oversized TB did anything. But more importantly I'll test it out at the track. I agree with you about the STD and SAE numbers. Brian was explaining it to me, just another correction factor. Were those numbers after a full cool down? That's what Brian did for me, let the car cool for like ten minutes and did one final pull. Has he gotten used to the tweecer a little? He's a brilliant guy when it come to tuning, but we had to kinda walk through the tweecer because he's never used it before I dyno'd there. Again congrats on the numbers, if you want to go the track, I'm heading down to Cedar Falls August 6th and 7th. It's probably a good 6 or 7 hour drive for you, but you could make it to Minneapolis the night before and then leave when we do around noon on Friday.

Jake

if you are going to redyno... you definitely need to do it there, if it means waiting for a dyno day to get 2 cheap pulls

only use the same dyno to compare.

a few dynojets around here dyno more than 10+ hp apart. one is older and dynos low.... the one i dynoed 246 on

my friends car that is 3150 put down 267 on another dyno and mine being about 3240 put down 246 and pulls his car :shrug: not due to driver, just power to weight

there are a few differences in my car sine the 246 but couldnt have added much power at all. switch to spintechs form flows, the motor breaking in, and a degree or 2 of timing due to restabbing the distributor a little advanced.

hey jake, thanks! if my appt schedule for 3pm didn't end at 7:15, we would have gone. unfortunately, by that time we were very tired and ready to make the 4 hour drive home. yes, the final pull was after a full cool down. the cool down made an 8 hp difference from the previous run without changing anything.

i rode shotgun for all the runs. brian basically told me what to change, and i changed it. he said he wasn't familiar w/the tweecer, but he was very familiar with all the tables, scalars, and functions from his tuning experience w/other tuning systems. he basically said what table/function should be changed, and i found it and changed it. it worked really well.

thanks again. i'm very happy with the numbers (and honestly a little surprised). i was hoping to break 300, and i did that on my first pull:D. going all the way down to cedar falls is not likely to happen, but i'll keep it in mind.

btw, jake, did you notice how similar our curves are?? we have same little dips and stuff.

I should of asked him to take it higher. The hp is barely falling off at 5900. Next time I'll spin it to 6300 or so and see what it looks like. Is Moorehead having any test-n-tune nights? I heard about mayhem getting cancelled, that's a bunch of bs.

Jake

jake, i think interstate dragways has a test and tune day every other saturday, but i'm not sure if i will get to one before i have to go back to school.

grady, thanks!
base_spark_table:
rpm: 1500 2000 2500 3000 4000 5000
advance: 24 27 28 29 30 32

my first run had 34 for all those rpm values. i guess that was way too much for the lower rpms.