dynomax bullet race mufflers, thumbs down

I went and got my new dynomax bullet race mufflers (2.5" x 4" x 18" long) installed this morning and picked my car up at lunch hoping for a large change. Unfortunetly they were just barely louder than stock. :notnice: Although i have stock headers and the 4 stock cats on i would at least expect a little more growl. I was thinking of a few other solutions such as:
-hollowing out the cats
-new off/road H pipe, or X-pipe
-shorty headers
-3.5" tips
Anyone else have any other ideas? :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Same thing happend to me after i did my MAC catback. I was imagining this loud beastly car but i was dissapointed when i was done. Then about a month later i did my O/R X and Headers and now its one of the most loud and obnoxious cars i have ever heard. :D

ChromeYellow94 said:
Unless you have no mufflers......Don't expect your car to get much louder with the stock h-pipe..

you should have replaced the mid pipe first. It is actually louder that way and it still sounds decent...

What he said. My car is louder than I was expecting from just changing the mid pipe (a nice surprise). I'm still going to get a catback, but the stock mufflers have a nice sound except a weird tone from ~1600-1850rpm. In that range it has sort of a rattling glasspack sound instead of the nice smooth sound. Throw on an o/r h or x and don't look back. :nice:

Oh, and changing the size of the tips won't make it louder. Also, don't waste money hollowing out the cats, just get a new o/r pipe. It will have a larger diameter, and you'll be dropping at least 20lbs.

The main reason i was hoping to see a larger difference even with 4 cats and stock headers was because a few threads ago there was someone really talking up how loud the dyno race mufflers were with all his stock exhaust. Oh well, i'll just have to go buy me a dr. gas x-pipe or some other o/r h-pipe.

go.rei GT said:
What he said. My car is louder than I was expecting from just changing the mid pipe (a nice surprise). I'm still going to get a catback, but the stock mufflers have a nice sound except a weird tone from ~1600-1850rpm. In that range it has sort of a rattling glasspack sound instead of the nice smooth sound. Throw on an o/r h or x and don't look back. :nice:
thats the x not your mufflers

and I dont understand why we are trying to be loud

speed before sound and obnoxiousness.

i guess some peopel are just attention whores :rlaugh:

95snoozer said:

If I was an attention whore, I would drive a yellow car... :lol:

j/k :jester: I wouldn't mind if mine was yellow.
Never said I was trying to be loud, if I was I would have a full exhaust right now. An X pipe is one of the best cheap bolt-ons period.
Why do think the x is to blame for that bad sound I hear? Just curious, cause I've heard them with borla and bassani catbacks and they sound good throughout the rpm range. So I figured it was the stock mufflers. :shrug:

95snoozer said:

na, just 16 looking for a nice loud car lol, performance is coming tho ;o.. finally finished polishing my upper intake to the performer 5.0 + ordered the lower and adapter