e7te top casting numbers mean anything? .. and another factory freak thread

jb89coupe

Sep 3, 2004
CT
Do the numbers on the top of e7's mean anything, or are they just date codes or something? I know the 8Jx on the back of the heads are supposed to be date codes. The heads on my car are stamped 17, the ones on my brother's car, and a spare set I have laying around both say 15. Any difference?

The reason I ask is I'm constantly being accused of "having heads". I guess I'll have to tear the intake/headers off and measure for myself to see whether they've been ported... When I bought my car (dealer) it looked thrown together, the guy traded it for a new mustang. The dealer didn't know much about the car, just that it was lowered.. The car roasted the tires in 1st/2nd and chirped 3rd - all stock EXCEPT e/l shorty headers, o/r h pipe, flowmasters, and suspension (same as in sig). It did this even with bfg comp t/a's (z rated) w/ 18lbs on the street, yes both tires spinning. Also ran right with my friends' h/c/i/geared cars when I stuck the tb/mas on it. What are the odds I just have a "factory freak"?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, you have everything except heads. Full induction and exaust, plus a gear, I could see where some people would make the mistake, now imagine if you did really have heads.

90mustangGT said:
Well, you have everything except heads. Full induction and exaust, plus a gear, I could see where some people would make the mistake, now imagine if you did really have heads.

Well this was before the gears, before the intake, etc. I have a spare set of e7's I'm going to port and (I guess) stick on my car. Sorry guys no dyno/track #'s.

I'm pretty convinced there is no such difference between two equally equipped cars to call on a factory freak...

Anyways about your race with your friends car...you probably just drive better than he does... a driver has a lot to do with it...

If you had numbers that would help...

Not sure on the casting number you found...

Well the real point of this thread was the casting number signficance, the rest is just conversation.

The comments have come from folks with built stangs (h/c/i, gears, exhaust, etc) who I've hung with (or come very close) with my stock intake, stock gears. I just put the performer and 355's in not too long ago and now I tend to beat them if I can get traction... stock heads/cam to my knowledge. I'm going to pull my driver's side header tomorrow and check out the exhaust ports. Unfortunately there's no drag strips within a 4 hour drive (that I know of anyway), but I'm going to hit a dyno before I park my car for the winter.

25thmustang said:
Hey I live in CT, whose H/C/I cars have you run? I might know them or know of them... That might help explain why they call BS on you...

As for the casting, I dont know as my cars home and Im at school!

Hey, where do you race around here?? I don't want to spit names around on a forum (pm/email me if you want) but there's a couple guys with lx hatches, one with gt40ps cobra and e cam, same suspension as me. I hung right with him with stock intake/gears and beat him now. The other has tw heads, street heat intake and unknown cam. I'm right at his door until 4th gear now (373 vs 355). Maybe it's just because I'm lighter?

E7TE is the casting number/part number for Ford factory heads for HO motors 87-95. The E7 is in reference to 1987 the year the heads debuted on productin cars. The design of the head really is older than that having seen service in the truck and marine divisions of Ford. which brings up the "T" in E7TE as that denouted the truck division. I forget ewhat the last "E" means. This was a numbering system used by Ford from the 60's that i know of and used right through the 90's. A datecode that represents the year the part debuted, and coded application hints like what type of vehicle ith should fit, even thought the "truck heads" (E7TE) were on mustangs an Mark VII Lincolns and such.

fordnatic said:
E7TE is the casting number/part number for Ford factory heads for HO motors 87-95. The E7 is in reference to 1987 the year the heads debuted on productin cars. The design of the head really is older than that having seen service in the truck and marine divisions of Ford. which brings up the "T" in E7TE as that denouted the truck division. I forget ewhat the last "E" means. This was a numbering system used by Ford from the 60's that i know of and used right through the 90's. A datecode that represents the year the part debuted, and coded application hints like what type of vehicle ith should fit, even thought the "truck heads" (E7TE) were on mustangs an Mark VII Lincolns and such.

Thanks for the info, do you have any idea what the 2 digit numbers on the top of the head is (visible with the valve covers on). I imagine they're all the same head, same port/chamber/valve sizes etc regardless, but just curious.

jb89coupe said:
Hey, where do you race around here?? I don't want to spit names around on a forum (pm/email me if you want) but there's a couple guys with lx hatches, one with gt40ps cobra and e cam, same suspension as me. I hung right with him with stock intake/gears and beat him now. The other has tw heads, street heat intake and unknown cam. I'm right at his door until 4th gear now (373 vs 355). Maybe it's just because I'm lighter?

I dont street race so I dont race in CT, but I do know or knew a LOT of Mustang owners around the state! I keep to the track with my racing, as I really have no desire to beat on the car that much (meaning all out runs, powershifting) to not get a timeslip or see if the car or I am any faster!

Its funny, my dad has a GT-40P car with a stock cam, and whatnot and I ran a 12.11 in it. Sounds like some guys just cant drive!

25thmustang said:
I dont street race so I dont race in CT, but I do know or knew a LOT of Mustang owners around the state! I keep to the track with my racing, as I really have no desire to beat on the car that much (meaning all out runs, powershifting) to not get a timeslip or see if the car or I am any faster!

Its funny, my dad has a GT-40P car with a stock cam, and whatnot and I ran a 12.11 in it. Sounds like some guys just cant drive!

I meant track race not street race, I don't know of any strips around here. As for the driving flaws I won't rule that out.