Fox E85 Questions

Anti_Hero0932

Jan 29, 2012
LaGrange, MO
I have a question someone could probably chime in a tell me alot about....

E85.

you obviously need a compatible pump and injectors...... what else?

im sure your tune would have to change.... what am i missing here?

im looking into buying a few fuel system pieces and want to make sure i don't shoot my self in the foot for things that could happen later

• Sponsors (?)

To begin with, add 40% volume to your fuel system requirements to be conservative. So, if you needed 30 lbs injectors before, you'd need 42s now. On top of having roughly 38% less energy per unit volume, it also likes running a little richer for peak power on the lambda scale.

The biggest things you're missing is availability, the corrosive effect of methanol to non-stainless fuel system parts. It's not just about upping the injector capacity, and the pump to deliver it. Anything aluminum in your fuel system needs to be hard anodized, or replaced. That mild steel line that runs between the tank and the rails will probably have to be upgraded as well. The other volume related issue is mileage....and the same multiplier's effect in a negative way on that.
If you have to up your fuel delivery by 40%, a car that was getting 16 mpg cruising is now gonna get significantly less. Whether or not it'll drop all the way to 12....IDK. The same goes to range...if you could go 160 miles on 10 gals of premium gas, and that's all the E85 you get till the next station that is 160 miles away.........you now are gonna have to push the car the last 30-40 miles.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow i wasnt aware of all that. i dont think i want to build my fuel system 40% bigger to just to run corn fuel.... i didnt think it would have been that big of a deal.

on FlexFuel vehicles does that mean they have huge injectors on them and they just flip flop fuel tables or something? that kinda of boggles my mind.