Early Style 289 Timing Cover

• Sponsors (?)

Are you refering to the one used with a cast iron water pump with the cast-in timing pointer? Check mustangsunlimited.com. The only other timing cover used on the 289 is for an aluminum waterpump with a bolt on timing pointer. as for 5 bolt i am not sure what you mean.

Ron

Are you refering to the one used with a cast iron water pump with the cast-in timing pointer? Check mustangsunlimited.com. The only other timing cover used on the 289 is for an aluminum waterpump with a bolt on timing pointer. as for 5 bolt i am not sure what you mean.

Ron

Thats what I thought, but I bought a cover with a cast in pointer from CJ Pony Parts and its the 6 bolt style with a cast in pointer.

Ron

Hi Ron,
"as for 5 bolt i am not sure what you mean"
Five bolt refers to the bolt pattern or number of attachment bolts used to attach the early style bells to the early engine blocks, Typically, those used from the the first production models March of 1964 through August, or so, of 1964. Afterwords, the bell housings were attached using 6 bolts.
Anyway, this what I can remember. Maybe off a month or so, but, it should be close enough to git the gist!
Happy Motoring!

Is there a definite correlation between the aluminum water pump early style timing cover and the 5 bolt bellhousing? I've got the early style timing cover, but I can't ever tell if I'm counting the bellhousing bolts correctly (engine is in the car) to know if I have the 5 or 6 bolt.

Is there a performance advantage to switch to the late style timing cover/water pump? Or just that the cast water pump style with the backing plate keeps water away from the cam cover plate?

Is there a definite correlation between the aluminum water pump early style timing cover and the 5 bolt bellhousing? I've got the early style timing cover, but I can't ever tell if I'm counting the bellhousing bolts correctly (engine is in the car) to know if I have the 5 or 6 bolt.

Is there a performance advantage to switch to the late style timing cover/water pump? Or just that the cast water pump style with the backing plate keeps water away from the cam cover plate?

Here's an overlay pic of a 6 vs. 5 bolt bell. There could be an advantage to updating, if only to get away from the corrosive aspect of the coolant on the aluminum. However, I'm still running my 46 year old OEM block parts and although slightly pitted, the timing cover will still out last me, most likely, as I'm 63 (LOL).

The early timing cover for the 5-bolt engine, or 6-bolt with aluminum water pump is available new.

G08000.jpg

If you have an early style 5 bolt engine you cant switch to a later style timing cover and pump, unless I'm missing something. The problem is becasue of having the oil filler tube on the timing cover, the engine block itself has a hole for the oil to flow into the lifter valley. So if its the wrong timing cover that hole is open and not covered. The bolt holes all line up though.

If you have an early style 5 bolt engine you cant switch to a later style timing cover and pump, unless I'm missing something. The problem is becasue of having the oil filler tube on the timing cover, the engine block itself has a hole for the oil to flow into the lifter valley. So if its the wrong timing cover that hole is open and not covered. The bolt holes all line up though.

The Ford Service Replacement had the oil fill hole with a "freeze plug" in it. If the filler needed to be installed in the cover, you just knocked out the plug.

I haven't seen the repro in person, so it's hard to say if it's with or without oil fill hole.

...the engine block itself has a hole for the oil to flow into the lifter valley.....
I dont see what difference that hole, open or closed, would do? Inside the timing cover at the cam chain, you can see down into the oil pan.

I remember that even my '88 5.0 block have an open hole in the casting, between the cam chain and the lifter valley. Dont all sbf blocks have that hole?

I think you can use either early or late style 289 timing cover. It depends on the water pump. Does yours have a backing plate? Backing plate = late style 289. Early 289,260 waterpumps had a different impeller that was open.

This is the later 289 and 302 water pump with backing plate.
waterpumplate289.jpg

works with late 289 Timing cover
C5OZ-6019-B.jpg

This is the early 289 water pump without backing plate.
waterpumpearlyiron.jpg

This is the early 289 style with aluminum water pump. Shelbys had one but it had more blades, I couldnt find a pic to steal.
waterpumpearlyalum.jpg

These work with early 289 Timing Cover
mustang20timing20cover.jpg

OK, I took a picture to help explain. I bought a new timing cover from CJ Pony because it was described and looked like the early style timing cover needed for my engine, clearly its not. Notice the large hole that goes through into the lifter valley that has a gasket surface surrounding it. That is where the fill tube from the early style covers went to. So the cover I need has to cover that up. Westmus the eBay link you posted is the correct style cover I need, Thanks. I did some research and found Scott Drake has just started reproducing them. I haven't seen a picture yet, but I'm kind of hoping it just covers the hole and eliminates the filler tube because I think it’s kind of ugly.

IMG_2682.jpg

Pardon me for resurrecting this thread, but I'm having a related issue and Pony66 seems to have some of the info I'm seeking.

I'm working on a very early '64 289 with a C3OE-6059-B timing cover. It had an aftermarket stock style aluminum pump installed on it that was causing the water pump pulley to be about 3/8 of an inch too far forward. This created belt alignment issues with the WP, but the A/C and P/S pulleys line up correctly.

I have deduced that the pump is the incorrect one for this application, and I believe the iron one with no backing plate pictured above may be the one I need. The question is... where do you get one? All the iron ones I see at the parts houses have a backing plate.

Any help is appreciated. Here's a pic of the style of cover I'm working with for reference...

c3oe6059b02.jpg

Not on this one. It has A/C with an aftermarket Sanden compressor and bracket, and a cast iron 3 groove crank pulley, along with a 1 groove water pump pulley. It has 1 belt that runs the generator and waterpump, 1 for the P/S pulley, and 1 for the A/C.

The WP should line up with the rear-most groove in the crank pulley (as the generator does) but it sits a little too far forward. The other 2 items line up perfectly, with the PS pump on the middle groove and the A/C on the forward groove.

O'Reilly Auto shows 2 water pumps, one with a height of 4.5" (like the one I have now) and one with a height of 4.17 inches. I ordered the shorter one and it will arrive Wednesday. When it does, I will post results.