Easiest way to determine year of C4?

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
My 66 has a C4 of some sort in it... might need to get a higher stall torque converter for it with the planned head/cam changes. Was wondering if theres an easy way to get under the car and see what year the one I have is, so that I can get the appropriate part.

Its been a while, haven't posted on this site in probably a couple years. Good to be back :)

• Sponsors (?)

apparently there are minor differences between 66-69 C4s, and those built from 70-82. specifically, summit says t here is a minor difference in the bolt circle for the stall converters (11.4" vs 11.438"). I'm not sure if there are other differences and if this difference is even appreciable enough to prevent install (though I think it would be).

there's a TON of different C4's, not only inside the mustang family, but other fords from the early 60's to mid 80's used the same transmission... with minor tweaks, different clutches, bellhousings, converters...

there should be a metal ID tag attached under one of the piston sidecover bolts, that a competent dealership or tranny shop can decode for you.

jan

There is a possible pitfall. My C4 has an early case with a late drum and input shaft. Meaning by the numbers on the case it needs an early TC, but my input shaft is larger and would never fit. I would be suprised if yours is like that, but it is possible.

The cars 400 miles away right now, so i'll revisit this thread in a few weeks. Where are these piston side-cover bolts (so i know where to look)?

Here, there's one on each side of the transmission. In this picture the stock gray steel cover has been replaced with a blue/purple bling-bling cover :)

http://customclassictrucks.com/techarticles/0508cct_trans_02_z.jpg

This transmission is from a 1970 Ford Bronco, but it's still the same C4 tranny, just different bellhousing I think.

Jan