Ebay scam or not? Help settle an argument

dderek

Feb 29, 2004
ive been watching this ford lightning on ebay for days now. started with no reserve. and only jumped to $16,600. Seller has 0 feedback.
My friend is 100% convinced its a scam.
I think it could be true.

ive never attempted to contact the person to find out.
since my dickhead dad wouldnt loan me the money im short. even though he just bought himself a motorcycle when hes 'broke':shrug:

The deal is, way too good to be true, i admit that 25k truck selling for 17k with all these extras. dvd nav, stereo, ugly rims.. etc.

but i think it might be a real deal. i was planning on calling the guy. trying to get all his info. then taking the license plate in the pictures. calling my mom at work who has access to look up plates. and if they matched i was going to go for it and attempt to work something out with the guy.

do you think i would have been scammed?

Its also sketchy that the guy says hes selling it to buy a house, yet hes interested in bike/atv trades.

what do you all think about this ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004...oryZ6219QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Derek:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

gruvee87vertgt said:
well, you got his number call him. I would pay until you have the unit and the title.

looks like a good deal

nah im not calling, its too late now anyway. 30 minutes left. hardly enough time to get good info on it.
plus my dad wouldnt give me the little money i was short.
i cant do a loan because my job just closed, unemployed now

raw132002 said:
IT sold for almost 28,000.

yeah i saw:eek:

no way i could ever afford 28k. i couldnt even do 17.

wonder if that guy just lost 28k?:shrug:

not every 0 feedback person is a scam artist though. we were all at 0 once.
but youre right. 28k is nothing to play around with

ever noticed that 95% of people who are selling their cars on ebay or something like that "hate to see it go but im buying ...." and it always seems like they're buying a house :shrug: idk just something i've noticed could be just me

People always freak out over low starting bids but thats what drives the bid up period. If he had started at $25000, it might have only went to $25500. Bidding wars for the W! This is an auto purchase, so other than the deposit, nobody just lost $27000. I doubt they are gonna paypal the guy $27000. ;)

Your dad's a dickhead because he won't loan you money when you don't even have a job?:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: Get a job, earn the cash, buy what you want. That's what the rest of us have to do.

I'm SO glad my wife and I decided years ago to never have kids.

wythors said:
Your dad's a dickhead because he won't loan you money when you don't even have a job?:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: Get a job, earn the cash, buy what you want. That's what the rest of us have to do.

I'm SO glad my wife and I decided years ago to never have kids.

:stupid: can't begin to think of the reasons to get into debt for a $25K+ truck, as a 2nd vehicle no less, without a job. Maybe it's me. Me, I really want a Lightning. I could go buy one cash right now if I wanted to. I just can't even let myself do it. :shrug: diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I guess!

But if you expected to get that truck anywhere near $20K, nevermind the short side, you'd be asking to be scammed.

As said not everyone out there is out to scam, and when it comes to selling a car as a private party, what do you think is the best way to advertise? For $40 on eBay and reach millions of people, or in Autotrader and get a bunch of local people who lowball you?

Edit: It's also tough to be scammed on a car if you: a) visit the guy, drive it, inspect it, get a Carfax, etc., and b) fly out /take a train/hitchhike/whatever as soon as the auction is over to go put all the money down, take the car AND the title, and be on your merry way.
Sending a deposit leaves a better chance for something happening, showing up in person to exchange goods for funds basically kills that notion right away.

dderek said:
...since my dickhead dad wouldnt loan me the money im short. even though he just bought himself a motorcycle when hes 'broke'

I guess my dad is a dickhead too. There's no way in hell he'd fork over $16k or more so that "I" could buy a truck either. LOL

Definitely one of the more rediculous things I've seen written in this forum. It's gotta be in the top 10. When did dad's become the ones that are required to take it in the bung-hole when junior decides he/she wants a Ford Lightning all of the sudden?

"Daddy!!! I want an Oompa-Loompa! I want an Oompa-Loompa NOW!!!!"

i cant do a loan because my job just closed, unemployed now

Looks like your dad's a smart man. He at least knows a high financial risk when he sees one. :rolleyes:

wythors said:

I just worked 60 hours a week 6 days a week for 7 months. then my job closed a week ago because its seasonal. I dont start my next job for 2 weeks. so i am unemployed at the moment.
i expected it to end at like ~20-22k. and im not far from that :nono:

So no, im not lazy. and no. i dont expect handouts. but i did expect a few grand to be OK when he just shelled out 2x what i asked on some gay lookin motorcycle

Dont be a dick without knowning the facts:flag:

dderek said:
I just worked 60 hours a week 6 days a week for 7 months. then my job closed a week ago because its seasonal. I dont start my next job for 2 weeks. so i am unemployed at the moment.
i expected it to end at like ~20-22k. and im not far from that :nono:

So no, im not lazy. and no. i dont expect handouts. but i did expect a few grand to be OK when he just shelled out 2x what i asked on some gay lookin motorcycle

Dont be a dick without knowning the facts:flag:

I don't think anyone's trying to be a dick. Your dad shelled out HIS money for HIS motorcycle. That's the way it's supposed to go! LOL You act as if you have a "RIGHT" have him loan you the money. He earned it, it's his, he could have bought two ten thousand dollar grey squirrels for all it matters. It was his to do what he wanted with. I think that's the point folks (including me) are choking on.

:stupid: I agree. His money... He does what he wants with it... He's not a dick because he won't loan you money. Have you paid him back for that TKO 600 he bought you yet? That might be a factor in his decision.

dderek said:
i did expect a few grand to be OK when he just shelled out 2x what i asked on some gay lookin motorcycle

Did you ever consider that he cant loan you the money because he spent it on his gay looking motorcycle? Also, people list stuff at low prices all the time. Ebay isnt really much of a deal for vehicles that are desirable like a lightning.