ECT sensor reading

Gone

May 2, 2020
Home
Hiya! My -96 GT got a problem, it runs a bit rich and im gonna put a new O2 sensor in it next week, because DTC code said so, but i notice that ECT-sensor might be bad also.
I get 700 Ohms resistance when motor is cold, is that right??
I think this is not correct because a driver side sensor reading is totally different, 55kOhms...for testing, these sensors arent interchangeable right?

• Sponsors (?)

these sensors arent interchangeable right?
That is correct. The ECT sensor is NOT interchangeable with the cluster dash sensor.

Do you have an ODB2 scanner? If you did it might make short work of this problem. HOW? By asking the PCM what it "thinks" the ECT temperature is. Then you are testing the entire system including the wiring.

The other big advantage that an ODB2 scanner can bring is to understand what the PCM is doing with the ECT value. For example "what fan speed are you commanding?". Finally with an advanced ODB2 scanner with bi-directional support allows you to control what fan speed that the PCM is commanding. I'm sure you can see how much that improves diagnostic trouble shooting.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB

Thanks for the answer. I have obd2 tester yes but its a cheap one(u380) , i only can read a basic codes and delete them. I ordered another scanner today what should show me engine temperature etc.
Can you (anyone)tell me what kind of value should i get from room tempetature ETC sensor?

Can you (anyone)tell me what kind of value should i get from room tempetature ETC sensor?
How about asking the PCM for the ECT value while the motor is stone cold? Why is this important? Because the ECT value should be reasonably close to local temperature on that day.

As for a running temperature, it should be higher than 198 degrees F but lower than 220 F.

Ok just got my new scanner and asked the temp value from pcm and it shows about right at could, but when motor is warmed up and temp gauge is at dead center the value is a bit low(?) 175F.