Edelbrock 4BRL Conversion

Riggs

Mar 31, 2005
Linden, NJ
I would like to put a 4 barrel Edelbrock card on my 2 Barrel 289 and my question is how difficult of a task is it to do this? From what I see I need to take off the intake manifold, obviously and change it to an edelbrock one and also remove the valve covers and distributor. What I am worried about though is tuning the carb from the two to a four. Is this going to be an issue and also should I change the camshaft with the carb or is this not necessary?

• Sponsors (?)

An intake manifold isn't very hard to change. As 5.0ina66 said you don't have to change your cam but this would be a good time to do it if you are considering it. With the intake off you'll have access to your lifters. Changing a cam is more involved but with a how to book, some patience and some help from the people on this site you should be able to do that too.

Intake swaps are a LOT easier with the distributor removed first. Just be careful when pulling it out, shake it while pulling up on it to make sure the oil pump drive doesn't come out with it. It shouldn't, but you never know........... And here's another tip for those who want 4 bbl perfomance without the hassle of an intake change, buy a Holley 500 cfm 2 bbl. Bolt on swap. Just a few minor changes with the fuel line.

Riggs said:
I'm guessing I would have to take a lot of the stuff in front of the engine out to install the cam. Like the radiator, water pump etc....Can I really install a cam without pulling the engine?

Yes you can. It will require you to pull the distributor, fan, water pump, radiator, timing chain cover, and timing chain (in addition to the stuff already mentioned). Also, you might have to upgrade valve springs depending on how extreme your cam is over stock (good idea to do it anyways). Be easy on the cam bearings when reinstalling the cam.

As with many people modifying their motors...it starts with the 4-barrel and header swap and grows from there - power is addictive. Good luck on your adventures.