Educate me on 2V vs 4V

dec322

Feb 11, 2006
Bham AL
I just sold my 5.0 and am thinking about buying a 99+ Mustang. What is the difference in 2v vs 4v? Are the 2005+ 4V and everything under it 2V? Pros and cons? I'm willing to read if you guys know of some articles. I'm just trying to learn as much as possible so I can make a good decision.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

96-98 GT = Non-PI 2 valve engine (215-225 HP, heads don't flow very well, upgrading to the "PI" heads and intake from 99-04 common)

99-04 GT = PI 2 valve engine (260 HP)

96-04 Cobra = 4 valve engine (96-98=305, 99&01=320, 03&04=390)

I've had a 99 PI engine and a 96 NPI engine. the difference is big, and if you want to get more power out of the motor you should start with a PI engine IMHO, because you'll need to make a NPI engine PI to get the most out of it.

I'm probably getting a 96 Cobra in a week or so, and from the one drive i've had in it i can say that the power delivery is much smoother in the 4 valve. the 2 valve isn't a bad engine and you can get a lot of power from it, but the powerband in the 4 valve engine is much wider.

I'd go with a PI 2 valve if you want to do a lot of work on it for less $$, but if you can get a 4 valve in good shape, go for it. If you get a 2 valve that is from 96-mid 01, make sure to check if the engine has had the coolant crossover passage (attached to the upper intake manifold) replaced.

GL man! :nice:

the 3v is a very good car as well very comparable to a 4v. with just an intake and tune those cars will make 30rwhp. they respond very well to mods. but you have to ask yourself what are your goals. if you want something all motor go 4v for sure. if u are boosting then you cant really go wrong with any of them. 4v will make the most power in the end but if u only want like 500rwhp than any if fine. u would want to build a 2v though for that amount of power cause it would require more boost than a 4v or 3v to get to those power levels.

the 3v is a very good car as well very comparable to a 4v. with just an intake and tune those cars will make 30rwhp. they respond very well to mods. but you have to ask yourself what are your goals. if you want something all motor go 4v for sure. if u are boosting then you cant really go wrong with any of them. 4v will make the most power in the end but if u only want like 500rwhp than any if fine. u would want to build a 2v though for that amount of power cause it would require more boost than a 4v or 3v to get to those power levels.

I'd take a 3V over all of them because I love the look of the 05+ (when a few body mods are done) but they are out of my price range. I just want something with that has a "fun factor" to driving it. I also want something that is refined enough to take my wife out on a date. 2V would probably do fine but (like most things) the more I research the more I want 4V....why? Because its better. Its like when I was buying a big screen TV. I started out with an idea but the more I researched the more I wanted something better.....1080P instead of 720P. Like most things, money limited me to 720P and in the case of a car I might be limited to 2V. We'll see.

I love Machs!!

I traded my '02 GT 2v for my '03 Mach 1 4v, it's a big difference stock for stock, I loved my GT but it's pretty awesome having another 1000 or so RPMs to work with. Normal bolt-ons are aobut hte same as the 2v but it starts gettin pricey if you wanna do cams. But not mod is cheap like the old 5.0 when you start opening the motor up.

With the 4v they love to rev so just with some aggressive gears, tires and exhaust you'll be really flyin.

What is IUP?

CatmanJJ, nice Mach!:nice:

Thanks i wish I had some more money to mod, c'mon tax returns!

Oh Interior Upgrade Package, basically one of a new options on the Machs, all it is is added brushed metal items like door locks, I think gauge cluster, bullitt shifter ring, not sure what else. :nice:

if u want something fun to drive any of the 4.6 stangs will do that for ya lol. mine might not have a whole bunch of power in her but still when i mat that pedal and spin the tires it always brings a big grin to my face :D

if u want something fun to drive any of the 4.6 stangs will do that for ya lol. mine might not have a whole bunch of power in her but still when i mat that pedal and spin the tires it always brings a big grin to my face :D

Amen, they might not be the fastest cars on the road but when you floor it esp with an aftermarket exhaust I get a chub rock in the pants.