educate me on clutches/flywheels

ECU5.0

Banned
Jan 10, 2004
raleigh, nc
alright so i ordered my tko 500 today, its 26 spline input shaft since thats the only one that they had left. now i need a clutch for a 26 spline input shaft and a flywheel that will match it. i cant find a clutch to save my life for 26 spline. also, if i get a 10.5 inch clutch, i cant use a stock flywheel can i? im going to need a bigger flywheel correct? thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

1985 and older mustangs had the smaller 10 inch flywheel

1986+ had the bigger 10.5 inch flywheel.

the tko uses the same size flywheel and disc. The difference is the spline count that goes through the center of the clutch disc. If your current clutch is good, you can keep your current pressure plate and just get a new disc.

tko clutch discs should be dime a dozen. All you should have to do is contact your vendor of choice, whether that be spec, centerforce, ram etc and tell them you want a 26 spline clutch disc for use with the tko.

additionally, don't forget that your driveshaft yoke is gonna be different too, so you're gonna have to order the 26 spline yoke, and swap yokes on your driveshaft.

In short:

-reuse the oem flywheel
-difference is in the disc, not the pressure plate. Get a 10.5" clutch with a -- -26 spline clutch disc, and the regular pressure plate
-swap driveshaft yokes

alright cool...didnt really think about reusing the pressure plate...but i reckon thats an option. probably end up getting a ram clutch. i really want a spec, but i cant get hold on sybersports racing

do you frequent corral.net??? nitrostangracing on that board is a regular member, and an official vendor, and he can get that stuff too at supposedly a great price.

v8only said:
do you frequent corral.net??? nitrostangracing on that board is a regular member, and an official vendor, and he can get that stuff too at supposedly a great price.

awesome, thanks man. im a member of that forum, but hardly ever post anything. thanks for the info