EFI on a 351C 4V

b_deemer

Jan 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Hi everyone, I have the EFI setup from a 93 5.0 laying around and I'm thinking of installing it on my 351C (with 4V heads). My question concerns the distributor, I have an MSD setup with the 6AL ignition and I'd like to continue to use it. (My other option is to get a distributor from a 460 with fuel injection.) Does anyone know if I can use the MSD/6AL setup with the EFI computer? If so, are there any special attachments that have to be made between the ignition computer and the EEC-IV computer? Thanks for any information.

• Sponsors (?)

I am not totally sure, but I think you need the TFS distributor off a 460.
Should probably use the module off a 351w or HO 302 to get the proper FO.

What intake lower are you planning to use?
I have seen the W lower reshaped to fit 2v ports...
The only thing I can picture working for the 4v is a single plane intake converted to injector bungs and a TB to carb flange elbow.

I would love to see someone (aftermarket) make a GT40 lower to fit C-4v.

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave.

My plan for the intake is to tig injector bungs into a single plane carb intake and make an adapter for the elbow. (basically, exactly what you suggested!) It won't look as cool as the EFI upper intake but I think I'll hide everything under a shaker scoop anyway. I'm playing around with designs that would allow the shaker to be functional, I'm keep you guys posted...

B

the 460 has the same firing order as the 351 so you should be ok there. i think you'll need a wiring adaptor for the MSD box but MSD sells them, you'll also need a TFI coil, MSD sells a TFI coil as well or you can use the stock one. there are 2 different EFI dizzies for the 460 so make sure you get the one with the module mounted on the dizzy itself not the remote mounted unit. if you want to ugrade the stock TFI module MSD sells one of those too.

price motorsports makes all kinds of intake adapters, they might make one that will adapt the 5.0 intake to the 351c. worth checking out at least.

http://www.pricemotorsport.com/

If you really want trick, find a 4 bbl Cleveland Tunnel ram and use the bottom for the EFI. You could fab a top to use a 2 bbl TB like the 3V 4.6's and others.

thats a great idea! all that would need fabricated is a sheetmetal top, very simple. i like your thinking... :nice: but, a 3V 4.6 TB is DBW, so i would use a different TB.

If you really want trick, find a 4 bbl Cleveland Tunnel ram and use the bottom for the EFI.
I think that is an awesome idea.
There is a really radical tunnel ram for Clevelands, forgot who made it, but would be really cool in this application.

All you would need is a fabbed aluminum box that bolts to the top of the runners in place of the normal carb top.

Then put a mount on the side for a nice 5.0 TB... maybe 80mm

Dave

Thanks for the heads up bnickel! Price Motorsports sells an intake adapter kit (AP-35C) to modify a windsor intake to fit a C (even with 4V heads). Looks like I just saved a TON of machining time. I also really like D.Hearne's idea about using a tunnel ram. I'll research both options to see how to continue.

thats a great idea! all that would need fabricated is a sheetmetal top, very simple. i like your thinking... :nice: but, a 3V 4.6 TB is DBW, so i would use a different TB.

Well I was going to add the part about Brand "X" TB's, but I was afraid someone would take it the wrong way. There ought to be a wide choice using Chevy 2 bbl TB's like those for the LS1's. As much as i don't care for their motors, I do like the looks of their EFI intakes better than the Ford 5.0 stuff.

i agree, i was just pointing out a potential conflict if he actually tried to use the 3V TB. without a mechanical connection, it would make it much more difficult than it needs to be. :)

Have you seen what those things are bringing now?!?

I am still kicking myself for selling my last one for 300 bux!
That one has several days left, and they have been bringing 5-600 bux lately.
Holley really needs to start making this intake again.
I would love to use one for either carb or efi, but they are just not cost effective anymore.
View attachment 407374

What's the difference between this intake and Edelbrock's Torker II?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL-2760&autoview=sku

(in case the link doesn't work, it's the EDL-2760. $236 through Summit)

Torker uses smaller than stock ports to increase velocity.
Torker also uses engine heat from lifter valley and exhaust crossover.

The 300-13 Holley is totally seperate from heat and uses larger ports and plenum.
It is long considered the best street/strip intake for the 351c.
I don't know how it stacks up against all the new Aussie intakes though.

The 300-13 has what you would consider a legendary or cult status in the Cleveland world.

edl-2760.jpg

Attachments

• edl-2760.jpg
    edl-2760.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 80
It's hard to tell from the pics, but if you look hard, you can see how all the plenum and runners are completely detached from the lifter valley.
You can put your hand under the intake, and over the valley cover.
Similar to the Air Gap intakes.
View attachment 407344

Edit: I have seen folks cut the webbing out of the Torker and block the heat risers. Forgive the crude rendition, but this is what I have seen, then they use the pan type gasket to seal the lifter valley.

Attachments

• edl-2760.jpg
    edl-2760.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 118
Since it seems that we have a wealth of knowledge here, let me throw out another question: Since the 351C has a different firing order compared the the 302, will it be adequate to simply rewire the injector harness for the new firing order? I was told once that it's not that simple, but it was from a poo-pooer (someone who always tells you why your idea won't work or that it will be hard so you shouldn't even try...) so I don't know if there's any truth to it or not.

Hang on, I was just doing some snooping around and I found two differnet firing orders for the 302. The first one was 15426378, the second was 13726548. I'll have to determine which info is correct for a 93.