EFI to Carb Distributor Shaft length question...

MikeR351w

Founding Member
Oct 8, 2001
Wisconsin
Hello, I am building a Factory 5 Cobra with an 89 GT mustang engine. To make it more period correct, I am going to a carb set up. I have it almost finished and just bought a Distributor for a 85 Mustang GT 5 speed. The old TFI dizzy was longer and this one is shorter. I checked with a gauge and it appears as though with the 85 distributor, I will only make about .170 of shaft contact. Should I get a longer oil shaft and if so, please tell me the part #! I cannot find anything on the subject. Thanks!

So do you think you got shafted?
Usually it is the distributor gear we need to make sure is right for the cam.
I am following as I thought 302 distributors were all the same shaft length. If the new one had been switched with a 351, it would be longer for the taller desk height. So what is the length from the stop shoulder to the end of the gear on each?

I think I biffed! I tried to prime the engine by cranking it over. i assumed the shaft was short and its not. I changed out the oil filter and oil beforehand, and used assembly oil on the lifters and rockers. I am thinking I had an air bubble while cranking. i used a drill to prime and instant oil pressure!

I have been thinking about this and have three ideas, and the second one has the best probability of success.
1. Maybe there is a truck or some other car that had the old style ignition with the EFI distributor.
2. The EFI to Carb conversions call for a 1985 distributor. I still wonder if the right part was in the box.
I think @jrichker has posted how to use a duraspark 2 or HEI 4 terminal module instead of the computer.
Start at about #21.

This looks super easy. I wonder if the EFI distributor will trigger a HEI module? If so, problem solved.
3. See if MSD has the one for your conversion.

Last edited: