EFI to Carb Distributor Shaft length question...

MikeR351w

Founding Member
Oct 8, 2001
Wisconsin
Hello, I am building a Factory 5 Cobra with an 89 GT mustang engine. To make it more period correct, I am going to a carb set up. I have it almost finished and just bought a Distributor for a 85 Mustang GT 5 speed. The old TFI dizzy was longer and this one is shorter. I checked with a gauge and it appears as though with the 85 distributor, I will only make about .170 of shaft contact. Should I get a longer oil shaft and if so, please tell me the part #! I cannot find anything on the subject. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

So do you think you got shafted? :doh:
Usually it is the distributor gear we need to make sure is right for the cam.
I am following as I thought 302 distributors were all the same shaft length. If the new one had been switched with a 351, it would be longer for the taller desk height. So what is the length from the stop shoulder to the end of the gear on each?

So do you think you got shafted? :doh:
Usually it is the distributor gear we need to make sure is right for the cam.
I am following as I thought 302 distributors were all the same shaft length. If the new one had been switched with a 351, it would be longer for the taller desk height. So what is the length from the stop shoulder to the end of the gear on each?

the difference is.500 in length. I did not know they are not the same diameter

I think I biffed! I tried to prime the engine by cranking it over. i assumed the shaft was short and its not. I changed out the oil filter and oil beforehand, and used assembly oil on the lifters and rockers. I am thinking I had an air bubble while cranking. i used a drill to prime and instant oil pressure!

cheapest and easiest to set up

Attachments

• 369FB815-2CA2-402A-BC7B-6448AAEBE458.jpeg
    369FB815-2CA2-402A-BC7B-6448AAEBE458.jpeg
    934.3 KB · Views: 114
I have been thinking about this and have three ideas, and the second one has the best probability of success.
1. Maybe there is a truck or some other car that had the old style ignition with the EFI distributor.
2. The EFI to Carb conversions call for a 1985 distributor. I still wonder if the right part was in the box.
I think @jrichker has posted how to use a duraspark 2 or HEI 4 terminal module instead of the computer.
Start at about #21.

This looks super easy. I wonder if the EFI distributor will trigger a HEI module? If so, problem solved.
3. See if MSD has the one for your conversion.

Last edited: